Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Really small setups

Post by standup » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Here's a photo of what I've got now:

http://homepage.mac.com/ERICAGNER/.Publ ... oclean.jpg

First, I'd like comments on what's the scariest/least logical aspect of this setup.

Second, I'm probably going to have to add another desk so I can accommodate an iMac and various accoutrements related to doing graphic design work in this same space as the audio "work" which is suspiciously like play. I don't make my living at it, in fact it detracts from work that would make me more money.

I had this topic on "Gear Talk" and people told me to clean my room. This is as clean as it gets. The stuff that was scattered around is now in the coset that WAS full of instruments, all of which are hanging on the wall for that "Guitar Center" look. Except for an old Gibson acoustic and a mandolin that are solid wood and should live in their cases.

I need to be able to do location work since the room is so small and I like to record ensembles/full bands when possible. I can do 16 inputs with a couple of 4-space racks that aren't shown in the picture and the Macbook that's closed on the desktop.

Suggestions for an efficient space once I have another small desk and a bigger computer in there? I guess the other monitor will be to the right of the center rack.

I still need to get behind to get instruments and monkey with the wires.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:34 pm

get a tape measure out. For starters the two speakers and your listening position should form an equilateral triangle.

If you find you've got a lot of bass going on you may try to move the speakers further away from the back wall.

Are you right handed or left handed? You may want to put the stuff that you mess w the most just to your right.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 am

It reminds me of my own space.
Last edited by lancebug on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:00 am

looks sooo much better in that picture. I would be inclined to place the angled rack on top of the other, and consolidate the majority of the wire behind the rack to your left... then you could have the moitor only on the desk, giving you less stuff in the way between the monitors and your ears.you seem to be pretty far from the monitors for near feilds, so maybe you could maximise space a bit by moving your listening/mixing position closer to the speakers.

I would also consider building some panels with XLR inputs to all your pres, so that you are not straining the jacks on the back of the gear pluggin in and out all the time. and have all the other import and recgularly changed patches on a patchbay... that stuff will speed up your work flow immensely, and make it tidier as all the cables going into and out of the gear can be left in position and zip tied together for nice neat dressing.

nice flat back... Czech?

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am

My idea was that a low profile over all was better than having a taller than ear-level rack stack on the left side. Right now the monitors aim "over" everything.

The triangle is equilateral, and the monitors are about 5' away. Maybe 4'. I run them on "1" or "2" usually. If I need more space maybe moving the monitors closer is the answer, and leaving space behind the desk for storage.

The mic pre's have a short snake off the back, so plug in/out is minimized. Line inputs to the rig show up in the patchbay, I think I've got that worked out.

The bass is about 100 years old, give or take. Guys who have worked on it (pulled the top) haven't found a label or origin information, it's a blockless flatback, one guy said "bohemian", but that's a little loose. Now that I've had it worked on LOTS over the years it sounds very sweet. It's 5/8 size, which is OK with me.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:41 pm

I would also say move y'r workspace table closer to the wallbetwen the speakers, and the secondary rack against the "left" wall. That'll open up a ton of space in there. Can you put the desk along the "right" wall? (Is that a radiator there?) Also, you should look into a stand for the bass, if you don't already have one, so you can have it in the room, securely.

Y'r space looks about the same size as mine. I think we have the same rug, too. =%>

Its hard staying organized in a dynamically-used room with little storeage space. Is there a closet in the rest of the building that you could requisition?

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:34 am

Cool Jerry Jones baritone/bass - now that I can finally see it! :D

I still think you need to invest in better furniture. I see you have an Ikea desk already (or at least that computer workstation thingamajig), but IMHO you need to pony up and get a bigger, more functional desk.

My life changed several years ago when I got a rolling equipment rack and put everything into it. You'd be amazed how much gear you can fit in one of those, especially if you invest in a patchbay. That may be your ticket.

You should be able to find used ones cheap. Even the new ones aren't that expensive.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 pm

no better place for an upright than leaning in a corner. I don't know any bassists with a stand for their upright... unless it is an old Kay bass that came with the wierd old stand.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/