Whats the secret to get a good clean recording no hiss

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:59 pm

jckinnick wrote:For drums I usually use 3 mics how would you suggest I set that up to use my mixer should I get a line level shifter?
Plug the three mics into the Notepad, pan as desired. From the Notepad's Master L/R outputs feed input A & B on the DP-01FX, hit record. You DO NOT need any line level shifting.

jckinnick wrote:The Tascams two mic inputs are seperate channels A and B. You have to designate wich one you want to use before you hit record and you can only pick one.
Not true...
TASCAM wrote:The DP-01FX has two mic inputs on ?" TRS or XLR jacks for dual mono or stereo recording.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:
jckinnick wrote:For drums I usually use 3 mics how would you suggest I set that up to use my mixer should I get a line level shifter?
Plug the three mics into the Notepad, pan as desired. From the Notepad's Master L/R outputs feed input A & B on the DP-01FX, hit record. You DO NOT need any line level shifting.

jckinnick wrote:The Tascams two mic inputs are seperate channels A and B. You have to designate wich one you want to use before you hit record and you can only pick one.
Not true...
TASCAM wrote:The DP-01FX has two mic inputs on ?" TRS or XLR jacks for dual mono or stereo recording.
On the back of the Tascam there is a 1/4 stereo mix L/R input I could hook the mixer up to. It says in the handbook that those inputs are for mixers. Only thing im worried about is the handbook says " The signals cannot be recorded on the DP-01 and the signal level cannot be adjusted.

I think subatomic pieces didnt have the patience for this thread and gave up on me.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:28 pm

Ok I tried it comming out of the stereo mix inputs and tried to record something and just like the manual said it wont record.

GravityRobert
ass engineer

Post by GravityRobert » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:10 pm

I got some hiss on my bass mike today as well

Bass > audix d6 > balanced XLR cable > Presonus firestudio.

It did go away after a while though, I believe.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:50 pm

jckinnick wrote:Ok I tried it comming out of the stereo mix inputs and tried to record something and just like the manual said it wont record.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:03 am

jckinnick wrote: On the back of the Tascam there is a 1/4 stereo mix L/R input I could hook the mixer up to. It says in the handbook that those inputs are for mixers. Only thing im worried about is the handbook says " The signals cannot be recorded on the DP-01 and the signal level cannot be adjusted.
OK, either you're an amazingly gifted troll or you just can't follow simple instructions. Re-read my post. Come out of the mixer, into the A & B inputs on the FRONT of the DP-01FX.

jckinnick wrote:I think subatomic pieces didnt have the patience for this thread and gave up on me.
I'm next. :roll:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:53 am

This thread totally rulz.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am

trodden! help me! when i plug my otari 8 track into my board and play a blank tape with all the trims and faders all the way up on the board, it's really hissy! what should i do? does behringer make anything that will help?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:02 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:trodden! help me! when i plug my otari 8 track into my board and play a blank tape with all the trims and faders all the way up on the board, it's really hissy! what should i do? does behringer make anything that will help?
My friend, you need a pair of "leathur" pants.
Last edited by trodden on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 pm

**snores**

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 pm

trodden wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:trodden! help me! when i plug my otari 8 track into my board and play a blank tape with all the trims and faders all the way up on the board, it's really hissy! what should i do? does behringer make anything that will help?
My friend, you need a pair of "leathur" pants.
or one of them fancy retractable coke mirrors
Last edited by Kilroy on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:
jckinnick wrote: On the back of the Tascam there is a 1/4 stereo mix L/R input I could hook the mixer up to. It says in the handbook that those inputs are for mixers. Only thing im worried about is the handbook says " The signals cannot be recorded on the DP-01 and the signal level cannot be adjusted.
OK, either you're an amazingly gifted troll or you just can't follow simple instructions. Re-read my post. Come out of the mixer, into the A & B inputs on the FRONT of the DP-01FX.

jckinnick wrote:I think subatomic pieces didnt have the patience for this thread and gave up on me.
I'm next. :roll:

Ok ill try this and see. Ive been making sure before I post what is INPUT and what is OUTPUT.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:26 pm

I looked at the specs for the Soundcraft Notepad Mixer it doesnt say what the nominal input level is but the max input level is +14 dbu. The MPA preamp says max input is +17 dbu. Someone told me that RCA connectors are always +10 dbu is this true.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:54 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:

Didnt work. Like I was saying you have to designate what channel you want to use A or B before you hit record this way the machine knows what line it is recording from A or B.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:53 pm

jckinnick wrote:Didnt work. Like I was saying you have to designate what channel you want to use A or B before you hit record this way the machine knows what line it is recording from A or B.
RTFM!!!

From the DP-01FX manual:
TASCAM wrote:Assigning inputs
When we talk about ?assigning? inputs, we are talking about linking the signals from the two inputs to the tracks. You can record on up to two tracks at a time. This means that the same input can be assigned to two tracks at the same time (you can?t then use the other input) or the two inputs can be assigned to different tracks. You can?t assign both inputs to the same track at the same time.
In other words, assign input A to track 1, assign input B to track 2, record!

The entire manual can be found here.