Neumann M147 vs. M-Audio Sputnik?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

idealfreedistribution
alignin' 24-trk

Sennheiser

Post by idealfreedistribution » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:54 am

This thread blows my mind. I've heard neither of these mics in person, and the way you guys are talking not many of you have dealt much with the M147.

I do agree if the M147 is cheap, buy it and sell it for something decent.

But, the idea that name brand matters that much is INSANE. Can you find another transformerless tube based mic that typically sells for $2400? Sennheiser throws on a Neumann badge, sneaks a "47" into the name of the mic and then marks the price up to an insane level. You can buy a great transformer balanced tube mic for this price or a bit more.

Again, I know nothing of either mic. Some of your justification of suggesting the M 147 is just hilarious.
Craig

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 pm

if you are really past the brand name thing as you said, i'm a big fan of modded mics.
i have two oktavamods (a mkl2500 cardioid tube mic and a mk219 pe), three modded alcatron (nady/apex/cascade) tube mics with peluso capsules and either peluso or cinemag transformers, plus capacitor, tube and power supply mods, and a royer modded mxl 2001 being finished for me right now. if you know a good tech and don't mind sourcing some parts, you can get any of these done for about the same (a little more or less depending on the components you choose and where you get them) than a sputnik.
just another option-- i have never had the pleasure of working with a nice neumann mic or a sputnik for that matter and can't compare.
________
FREE STARBUCKS GIFT CARD
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrdibs
gettin' sounds

Re: Sennheiser

Post by mrdibs » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 am

idealfreedistribution wrote: But, the idea that name brand matters that much is INSANE. g of either mic. Some of your justification of suggesting the M 147 is just hilarious.
Craig
If someone offered you a BMW for the same price as the Nissan Sentra you were already going to buy, which would you take?

The name Neumann is legendary for one simple reason. They make great mics and have been for a very long time. M-Audio has been in the game for like five years manufacturing mics in a Chinese factory that also pumps out Tickle Me Elmo dolls or something.

There is stupid brand loyalty in this business, but it's not all unfounded. Investment concerns aside, my gear is my instrument. I treat it as such. Crap is always crap and a TRUE bargain is a rare find.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Save yourself a whole lot of money and buy an Apex 460 and swap out the tube for a nice NOS philips 12AT7 or even a smooth NOS 12AU7 - or both. I like how my 460 sounds on AC guitar, male vox and native american flutes. I feel like I get a true representation of my Martin with the 460 with the subtle girth of a quality tube mic. The AU7 tube helps smooth the highs and tame the lows, and the AT7 provides more aggressive mids. I've had mine for about 4 months now and haven't been disappointed.

Check out this article: http://www.studioreviews.com/m16-460.htm
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:00 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Save yourself a whole lot of money and buy an Apex 460 and swap out the tube for a nice NOS philips 12AT7 or even a smooth NOS 12AU7 - or both. I like how my 460 sounds on AC guitar, male vox and native american flutes. I feel like I get a true representation of my Martin with the 460 with the subtle girth of a quality tube mic. The AU7 tube helps smooth the highs and tame the lows, and the AT7 provides more aggressive mids. I've had mine for about 4 months now and haven't been disappointed.

Check out this article: http://www.studioreviews.com/m16-460.htm
I wonder if that is the same mic as the t-bone SCT800.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:38 pm

The t-bone is a cardioid while the apex is a multi-pattern and the pc board looks alot different to me so maybe not.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:47 pm

I have used both. Get the Neumann.....
The Sputnik is hyped in a way that you might think is cool if it was your first "real" mic. The 147 is not the best Neumann ever made, but it sees regular use in my studio and is usually interesting. I almost never use it on vocals.... unless I am trying to get something different on a backup or double. I have liked it as a mono overhead just above the drummers head.
.....and you can sell it if you don't like it.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Re: Sennheiser

Post by hiddendriveways » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:15 am

idealfreedistribution wrote:This thread blows my mind. I've heard neither of these mics in person, and the way you guys are talking not many of you have dealt much with the M147.

I do agree if the M147 is cheap, buy it and sell it for something decent.

But, the idea that name brand matters that much is INSANE. Can you find another transformerless tube based mic that typically sells for $2400? Sennheiser throws on a Neumann badge, sneaks a "47" into the name of the mic and then marks the price up to an insane level. You can buy a great transformer balanced tube mic for this price or a bit more.

Again, I know nothing of either mic. Some of your justification of suggesting the M 147 is just hilarious.
Craig
Call me insane, but I'd take a Sennheiser mic over an M-Audio mic as well.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:31 am

Thanks for the replies folks...
All things being equal (no shortage of ready-to-spend cash, no outstanding bills, etc.) I know that the Neumann is the obvious choice. But when the $ factor is added in (spend money I don't have now or spend later when I have money to spend), it gets fuzzy.

So here's the scoop:

I bought the Neumann for $500. Seriously. It's a sweet sounding mic and it makes most of my other mic's sound rather silly. I've used 147's before, and this was to be expected. The problem is, my wife and I have a good number of bills to be paid and an extra $500 on the credit card is an unecessary burden.
In a perfect world, flashing the Neumann badge would get me more gigs and that would be great. However, in West Michigan, economic times are bad all around, and when that happens, no one wants to pay to record-- regardless of the gear I own.

So I've bought the 147, and having bought it, will sell it.
I appreciate the replies re: the Sputnik. I've got plenty of hyped-mids condensers, so I'll definitely have to do some more research before deciding what to do. I wish I could keep the Neumann, but them's the breaks. I've made good records with my silly mics, and I'll do it again (hopefully). A happy home trumps a sweet mic any day. :wink:

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:39 am

I bought the Neumann for $500.
I hate you.

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:24 pm

mikeyc wrote:Thanks for the replies folks...

I bought the Neumann for $500.

So I've bought the 147, and having bought it, will sell it.
I'll give you $600 for it... Wait, my wife just walked in- I mean "Good Luck selling it!"

In all seriousness though, nice find, good deal and best of luck, I hope it all works out. I only have cheap mics too. I can vouch for the royer modded mxl though- that's my one good mic and I really like it.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:43 pm

If you don't go for the Neumann, can you hook me up with the seller at that price?

In other words, I agree with all the pro-Neumann-choice posts above.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.