Distorted Vocals

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:46 pm

Scott Hampton's JFP design is awesome for vocal distortion. The other day I was running an old ceramic mic into the DI input of the JFP for distortion, then on into a BOSS Delay/verb pedal for space-y-ness. 'Twas cool.

I don't know exactly how much alike the HJFP2 sounds, because I can't afford one, but the design evolved out of the JFP (from what I've heard) so distortion character should be similar.

http://hamptone.com/HJFP2.htm

I find that I often want the distortion to be consistent, which just clipping the pre does not do, unless the vocalist is an incredibly well controlled performer. Sometimes it's better to reamp the track, so that it can be compressed enough to keep it in the red by a consistent margin.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:31 pm

I have a great little shit-mic by a company called Columbia that I found in an abandoned building. If you yell or even sing kinda loud into it you get a great "check your head" type distortion.
Hit up yr pawn shop.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:24 pm

I have an EV 664 that I use for stuff like this...I was just using the pres on the Soundcraft but now that it's dead I'll have to pull out the trusty Tube MP.....
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 am

When working on a project with a friend of mine, we (being the smartasses we are) wanted to employ a Boss Metal Zone pedal. We'd also been using this little piece of shit non-recognizable-name-brand practice amp to track guitars, and got this godly sound by cranking the absolute shit out of it, basically trying to destroy it. So, "go big, or go home", right?

Microphone to mic pre- mic pre to Metal Zone (throw up the horns!), Metal Zone to practice amp... CRANK IT!!!

The effect was cool, but unusable :schuettel:
I'm all about a little kick and snare

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:51 am

Skipwave wrote:I don't know exactly how much alike the HJFP2 sounds, because I can't afford one, but the design evolved out of the JFP (from what I've heard) so distortion character should be similar.
Yes, that pre distorts wonderfully. I've messed up drums and keyboards through it too.