100 CDR's, in full color jackets

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:11 am

We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Good info all, thank you!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:57 am

the jacketed ones ship cheaper and are generally cheaper overall for packaging last I checked. Good for promos. I'm looking in to this as well. As soon as I finsh my 52 songs in one year project I want to release it as a 4 volume set. And one proper cd with only the good songs.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

sirhills
audio school

Post by sirhills » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:19 am

check out http://www.myspace.com/newenergymanufacturing

raymond is a friend of mine in pittsburgh and is a stand up fella. had him work up layout and packaging for my last ep and an album for another band I was in while living in pittsburgh. many packaging choices (digi packs in nearly any # fold you want, glossy or matte...sleeves...you name it), all hand made, beautiful professional imaging, on cd printing, great prices, any # short run cd-r 25 up to 500, fast turn around and a sensible honest person to deal with...I can't speak highly enough of him. you can even email raymond and get samples if you want to check out stuff hands on.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:30 am

sirhills wrote:check out http://www.myspace.com/newenergymanufacturing

raymond is a friend of mine in pittsburgh and is a stand up fella. had him work up layout and packaging for my last ep and an album for another band I was in while living in pittsburgh. many packaging choices (digi packs in nearly any # fold you want, glossy or matte...sleeves...you name it), all hand made, beautiful professional imaging, on cd printing, great prices, any # short run cd-r 25 up to 500, fast turn around and a sensible honest person to deal with...I can't speak highly enough of him. you can even email raymond and get samples if you want to check out stuff hands on.
NOW YER TALKIN
3. FULL-COLOR INKJET CD JACKET IN PLASTIC SLEEVE w/ MATTE FINISH CD-R (includes duplication)

25 = $30
50 = $55
75 = $80
100 = $100
150 = $140
200 = $185
I wrote him for a sample!

calaverasgrandes

and now for somethign completly different

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 am

anybody know the best REAL cd dupers for short runs?
I'm talkin about 300 (its some noise stuff so no point in making more than I can throw away)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: and now for somethign completly different

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:01 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:anybody know the best REAL cd dupers for short runs?
I'm talkin about 300 (its some noise stuff so no point in making more than I can throw away)
My last CD, I got 300 digipaks for I think $900 from Discmakers. They did good work and have a nice digital download service, too.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:55 am

Hmmm Discmakers I have never considered to be very cost effective. I know they have a lot of plusses like free artwork and mastering, UPC etc. But I really just need a barebones CD. I am wary of CDR for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that they DO DIE. I have already witnessed known good CDRs just give up the ghost due to age. This isnt an acceptable medium to me. I still back up to CDR but now I rebackup every year or so. And use a couple different brands to ameliorate and media issues.
But yeah. Last I checked, about 4 years ago theri were some dupers that coudl do 1,000 in printed sleeve or 2 page with case for about $1000. I was hoping for some super DL scoop on the real good deal.

Heck Discmakers is right here in the bay area. I MUST know someone that works there!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:31 am

What about this:

Make a template on one piece of paper - the front and back of the jacket and the glue flaps - all on a single sheet. Like a paper cut-out house in a kid's book.

Then get a shitload of paper CD jacket stock and find a print shop. Get one of those paper cutting boards like they had in 4th grade, scissors and an Exacto knife.

Get a rubber stamp and some blank CDRs.

Just brain-storming.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:45 am

As the CD goes the way of the dodo, I think short-run duplication houses are going to become more and more common. In fact, that seems like a good business to get into if you know anyone interested in printing.

Hmmmm... :idea:
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:55 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:Heck Discmakers is right here in the bay area. I MUST know someone that works there!
They're in New Jersey! I've toured the factory, it's pretty neat. I know there are cheaper places, I just went with what worked...300 digipaks on real CD's was not available other places that I could find, when I had it done...

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:01 am

oh turns out the one here is just a branch office. Turns out its in Berkeley. I though they were in Fremont? Or is that some other duper whose name escapes me?

Rob Christensen
gettin' sounds

Post by Rob Christensen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:07 pm

For those of you who've put out your music on CD-R's & sold some, do you let people know that they're buying a CD-R instead of a 'real' CD? If not, have you had complaints like, "I thought I was buying a real CD, not a CD-R I could make at home?"

So far I've done my music on CD-Rs. I put them in nice packages with a card-stock booklet and make them look nice. But I also sell them for only $6 & I disclose that they are homemade CD-Rs. While I'm proud of them, I've sent very few out to publications or radio stations for fear of them not being taken seriously simply because they are CD-Rs.

Thoughts?