RIBBON MIC ... WHICH ONE THEN??!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:14 am

I got that Fat Head and have been using it with GREAT results on guitar amps! I posted about it somewhere here on the board but I don't remember which thread. I like it OK on vocals so far but it probably wouldn't be my first choice. I'm planning to use it on acoustic paired with a SDC soon and see how that works out. I'm a big fan of the acoustic sounds on the acoustic disc of the Foo Fighters In Your Honor record. They used a RCA77 and a SDC so we'll see how the Fat Head fares on that source.

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 pm

Has any paired the Shinybox, Cascade Fat Head, and modded Apex ribbons? I want something I can use guitar, vocals, and drum oh/room. Theres too many choices in this price range.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:26 pm

All these mics come from the same manufacturer and have essentially the same ribbon motor. Jon at ShinyBox does an excellent job of tweaking his mics in-house and provides a choice of output transformers - which do make a significant difference. His mic also has a beautiful Champagne finish that makes it look way more expensive than it is.

The flat lollipop-head ribbon mics and flat "deck of cards" ribbon mics are problematic in my opinion. The same reason why you would not want to record in a 8' x 8' x 8' room apply here - standing waves. These mics have parallel grilles surfaces that set up standing wave reflections back and forth across the ribbon element.

The Apex 205 is a DIY'ers dream - low cost, usable out of the box and upgradable down the road.

craigb156
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by craigb156 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Be a few days before I get to play with it, but I just received my 46mxl from Shiny Box. Very nicely put together, and the box is cool. I need to write Jon and ask if I can buy some of his mic pouches...heavy padding, great idea.

Craig

craigb156
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by craigb156 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:35 pm

I am a total beginner, but the shiny box is a very nice mic and a good complement to my OktavaMods. Stoked.

Craig

bedard
audio school

Nady RSM-5; review comparison

Post by bedard » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am

Great discussions on the RSM-2 - I see the price drop in RSM-5 (looking for a smooth inexpensive vocal ribbon). Has anyone tried the Nady RSM-5? $179-199 and musicmart.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:01 pm

I had a 77Dx for about 2 years. It was on loan from someone. The pedigree on that mic was vague to say the least. Though it was at one point supposed to have belonged to Lucasfilm.
It distorted a little bit, though. I looked up some stuff on the then tiny internet (this was like 1990) and figured out to adjust a thing or two. Those guys are pretty crude looking with the screen off!
The fella that loaned it to me took it back. He let a punk band ( he had a crush on one or more members) use it to pay for studio time with some hack with an adat. Imagine getting paid to make an 8 track demo on an adat. With a 77DX!
I mostly regret that the time I had the 77 I only had a mackie and wheatstone(?) to use for preamps. ANd just cassette multitracks. Man if I had that when my Tascam 80-8 was running.

about apex 210, sweetwater aint got em anymore.
I did find the apex 205 at
music go round
http://www.musicgoround-cary.com/servlet/Detail?no=176
for $119

ps what is the trick to putting links? when I try an href= it deletes it?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm

music go round
for $119
http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?t ... 05&txtCat=

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:24 pm

A-Barr wrote:
music go round
for $119
http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?t ... 05&txtCat=
oh full COMPASS!
I read that as sweetwater somehow.
They both are bathroom reading favorites I guess.
i may just have to hit that up.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."