opinions on tele pickups

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 am

I think I switch to it from my '74 les paul custom in this at some point.. I cant remember..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q061EWhqhNQ

I am on the far left.

Or check these pictures as well... I dunno...

http://thatdudejeff.typepad.com/culture ... -book.html
Last edited by joel hamilton on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:42 am

So far I've gone thru quite a few myself..
Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound..way too hollow and squashy sounding
Wolftone p90 style..I like this one a lot
SD Antiquity..great pick up for the classic sound
Lil'59 I really like it for a distorted sound

I'll probably buy a tele just for the antiquity and keep swappng the rest when I feel like it.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 am

joel hamilton wrote:
inverseroom wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I have a custom made thinline with an original broadcaster pickup in it, and it is the best tele I have ever used.
Who custom made it? Do you have a pic?
I forgot the guys name. They sell them at Main Drag Music here in Brooklyn...
Leather pickguard... It is "antiqued" and a bunch of othe rthings i usually dont love, but this tele just KILLS all the other ones I have ever owned, and I have owned 5 before this one. It seems to work with almost any amp or tone requirement for any song, from alt country to heavy metal stuff, it just works really well. I feel lucky to have it.

I will look for a pic...

JJ makes those teles. I think he calls his brand "Twangmaster"?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 am

roscoenyc wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:
inverseroom wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:I have a custom made thinline with an original broadcaster pickup in it, and it is the best tele I have ever used.
Who custom made it? Do you have a pic?
I forgot the guys name. They sell them at Main Drag Music here in Brooklyn...
Leather pickguard... It is "antiqued" and a bunch of othe rthings i usually dont love, but this tele just KILLS all the other ones I have ever owned, and I have owned 5 before this one. It seems to work with almost any amp or tone requirement for any song, from alt country to heavy metal stuff, it just works really well. I feel lucky to have it.

I will look for a pic...

JJ makes those teles. I think he calls his brand "Twangmaster"?
Thats right. I got a good one from him that I really love, and I have had American standards, mexican reissues, japanese copies, a bunch of them. I really like this one.

Have you ever checked out the twngtone tele's roscoe? id be interested to hear what your experience was, man.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 am

I'm actually liking my G&L ASAT Special. Tribute series, no less.

ASAT pickups are great, but the tone knob is almost better- actually useful.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:07 pm

joel hamilton wrote: Have you ever checked out the twngtone tele's roscoe? id be interested to hear what your experience was, man.
Do you mean the Twangmaster that JJ Builds?

I've played 'em in the shop. They do seem pretty darn great. I'm pretty set for teles at this point w 6 of 'em. A 66, 68 and several custom built ones including the Stonetrees that were done to my spec. I use kinda heavy strings so its hard for me to tell whats up with a tele at the shop. Creston is making some good ones up in VT.

Years ago I got my first '66 tele custom and learned alot about that particular vintage ('66-68). They had maple caps and 2 string trees which some people didn't like but I think the extra mass in the headstock and the two pieces of wood on the neck make them great.

I sorta stumbled into the P-90 in the neck by accident. I a GIbson P-92 laying around and put it in my '68 cause it matched the whacked out color of the guitar. It works great as a neck pickup. The Humbucker never really does it because it needs a different pot than a single coil so one of the pickups isn't really operating at optimum. I forget if this neck pickup is called a P-92 or P-94? Fralin makes a great split single that going by one of those names?

Pic by the builder Phil Maneri at 5th Ave Fretshop in Columbus,OH

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:05 pm

Wow, those stonetree's look amazing.

Thanks for posting about that, my man. Killer.

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:54 am

wrenhunter wrote:Not mine, but my brother has a Duncan Broadcaster in his bridge that sounds real nice.
Been using the SD Broadcaster for years. Well balanced, not too spikey in the highs.
For a little more mid oomph I have another Tele w/an SD Jerry Donahue.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 am

Broadcaster pickup is great in the bridge.... original, if you can find one, or the Duncan vintage Broadcaster is a real good close second. I have one Tele with a '51 Champ lap steel pickup in it, really great! It came out of a basket case. Please don't go out and destroy lap steels to get the pickups.
I played quite a few of JJ's Twangmasters at the Main Drag.... and if I wasn't so Tele-ed up I would own one.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:17 pm

I've had a Duncan Antiquity in the bridge of my MIM Tele for over ten years now -- love it.