Bass Fuzz/Distortion Pedals?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

PeterSawatzky
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by PeterSawatzky » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:04 pm

EHX Double Muff. Really cheap to buy ($60 new), awesome razor-bladey tone, no loss of low end.

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:47 pm

The Malekko Heavy Industry B:Assmaster reviewed in the latest issue of TO ( www.malekkoheavyindusty.com ) sounds like a pretty cool pedal...there are some really cool samples on the website that made me want to buy one badly. All the samples are of a PBass and it sounds awesome, but I wonder how it would sound on guitar. I know that the Zvex Wooly Mammoth is awesome on guitar, so...

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:48 pm

ok its not a pedal, but as cheap as one.
The Peavey Century(?) bass amp. It has a couple knobs for sustain and harmonics and then of course some low mid and treble knobs. Only 130 watts.
But it gets the most exploding distortion ever.
Mine was stolen years ago.
keep meaning to get another.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:32 pm

i've been using a shin-ei companion fuzz and it's served my purposes, very chainsaw-y.
trouble clef.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 pm

kdarr wrote:
Randy wrote:Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive. It has a clean mix knob that allows you to dial in enough clean signal to bring the gut-rumbly low end. It's the only distortion pedal that I have been able to use on bass and retain some of the low end.
+1 on the Sparkle Drive. Great for faking the SVT-style grind. Even better in ADDITION to the SVT-style grind. It'll but a great, barky fur onto a P-bass, that's for sure.

[<|>]
wow really? Thats one of the only distortions I couldnt get to make a happy sound with. I was like, is this thing on?! It was pretty mcuh the meaning of thin. Maybe the one I tried was broken.

thesneakyjesus
pluggin' in mics

Post by thesneakyjesus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:10 pm

I know a lot of people stop reading this far in but.. maybe if I rock caps you'll notice

I've been playing bass for about 9 years and I study upright and electric at school. I study recording at school as well. I promise, the best fuzz out there for bass is

THE BLUE BEARD

Plus, it's made boutique by this guy in southern maryland.
www.atomicmusic.com

It's so awesome... it's like a big muff on crack (no low end loss)

The story goes that they guy who makes them (sonny) had a guy tracking in the studio with a big muff, and it was the best sounding one he'd ever heard (they all sounded so different at the time because they were basically pieced together from buckets of transistors and stuff). Well, he copied all the specs from this one, and made small mods, and now packages them.

It's so SO SO SO AWESOME

GO GET IT!

great for metal and hardcore guitar, or for fuzzy brit, or for anything that needs to sound crazy!
~Chris

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:25 pm

actually it seems its http://www.atomicmusiconline.com/bluebeard.asp
I have heard of these before. I really want to check one out, but I have a hard time buying a guitar or a distortion without playing it first. `Specially at $160!

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:actually it seems its http://www.atomicmusiconline.com/bluebeard.asp
I have heard of these before. I really want to check one out, but I have a hard time buying a guitar or a distortion without playing it first. `Specially at $160!
I'm about 15 minutes from that store. I'll give it a listen.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 am

wooly mammoth rules my life. can really create some twisted sounds. it is the key to my rig when playing electronic music. that and my heavily duct taped boss oc2.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:40 am

toaster3000 wrote:wooly mammoth rules my life. can really create some twisted sounds. it is the key to my rig when playing electronic music. that and my heavily duct taped boss oc2.

john
John, you are one of the few people I know that can really make the OC2 sound AMAZING.

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 pm

logey wrote:The Malekko Heavy Industry B:Assmaster reviewed in the latest issue of TO ( www.malekkoheavyindusty.com ) sounds like a pretty cool pedal...there are some really cool samples on the website that made me want to buy one badly. All the samples are of a PBass and it sounds awesome, but I wonder how it would sound on guitar. I know that the Zvex Wooly Mammoth is awesome on guitar, so...
Oops! the link for Malekko is actually http://malekkoheavyindustry.com/
sorry for any frustration

spacelabstudio
takin' a dinner break

Post by spacelabstudio » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:35 pm

I did a Monte Allum mod to an old Boss DS-1 I had lying around and it sounds pretty damn awesome on bass now. I just checked the website, though, and I don't see the mod I used up there anymore. Not sure what happened to it.

chris

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 am

spacelabstudio wrote:I did a Monte Allum mod to an old Boss DS-1 I had lying around and it sounds pretty damn awesome on bass now. I just checked the website, though, and I don't see the mod I used up there anymore. Not sure what happened to it.

chris
Well, I got this DS-1 mod and it's pretty darn kewl:
http://www.cmatmods.com/portal/Home/Mod ... _Dual_Gain

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 pm

okay not pedals, but the Sunn Beta Bass amp head has a pretty cool overdrive, another good one is the Acoustic 450 head. Great driving sound. I am pretty sure was the same model Rob Wright of NoMeansNo used before he went to a Marshall and (IMHO) destroyed his awesome tone.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:53 pm

At around 9:38 or so of this 12 minute video is an example of some cool fuzz bass...... NOT a pedal.

Best of all, you don't need an amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkTrqTd0hw