Guitar in need of ass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:38 am

Something I did once was to use a full-depth archtop with humbuckers (in this case it was a GIbson L-4CES) through a distorted amp. This makes for a really heavy rhythm tone. Of course you can't be in the same room as the amp, if it's loud, because it will feed back like crazy. But talk about girth.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:30 am

How about a plugin designed specifically for modeling guitar tones? That'd give you loads of options... Of course, I'm assuming that you're using a DAW, and that hasn't been established, so...

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:46 pm

RefD wrote:the trick i like is the "tough but clean" guitar (usually with a humbucker) doubling the heavy overdriven guitar.

can add punch, meat and definition.
I'll trade ya two cans of punch, for one can o' meat and defintion.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

tunesbybill
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tunesbybill » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:06 pm

brad347 wrote:Something I did once was to use a full-depth archtop with humbuckers (in this case it was a GIbson L-4CES) through a distorted amp. This makes for a really heavy rhythm tone. Of course you can't be in the same room as the amp, if it's loud, because it will feed back like crazy. But talk about girth.
I do something similar to this. I run a soundhole mounted humbucker on an acoustic through an old Roland vm-something-hundred-pro. It has an amp simulator in it that I really really groove on. Anyway, I have gotten some FAT sounds from this. More tracks of less distortion gives me the wallsiest of sounds.

If it's recorded and you have been spending hours on it and you are still not happy and it's making you mental, the best thing that I have found to do is (drum roll) stop. If you have the luxury of time (yeah right) take a break. Go for a short walk and chill. Magic happens when we quit thinking and trying so damn hard.

Good luck. I hope you get it just right...and soon.

Bill
Welcome to the revolution!