what amp to pair with telecaster?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

what amp to pair with telecaster?

Post by jmpace » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm in the market for a new guitar. I played the Fender American Deluxe Telecaster at GC today and fell in love. WOW. What a guitar! Only problem is that I have a crappy Crate amp at home and although I haven't purchased the guitar yet, I was wondering what opinions you guys have on good amps to pair with the Telecaster.

Also if you guys know of a good place to get a good price on the Tele, let me know. GC wants $1300 and sweetwater isn't much cheaper.

Thx
I'm bringin' lumberjack back!

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:20 pm

I love my '75 Tele through my Peavey Delta Blues (tweed).
**At home he's a tourist.**

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:26 pm

For a nice 'tweed' sound at less than Fender prices the Carvin Nomad and Bel Air are nice options. I've owned a Bel Air (2 x 12, 50 watts, tube) since 2001 and I like it a lot. The Nomad is the 1 x 12 version. I own a Tele and it sounds good thru the 12's.

A used Fender Blues DeVille or Blues Deluxe are decent too.

In the pricier range you've got a million options: Fender Deluxe, Twin, Victoria's, etc, etc etc.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Depends on what you like. Let me be the first to suggest a Deluxe Reverb. Even the reissues are nice sounding amps.

Last night I was playing a tele through an Ampeg SB12 portaflex bass amp. With a digital reverb pedal. Sounded great. That SB12 is a pretty cool guitar amp despite the fact that I got it for low volume bass.

Same tele also sounds nice through a 5 watt Danelectro amp from maybe the mid 60s.

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: what amp to pair with telecaster?

Post by Meriphew » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 pm

jmpace wrote:
Also if you guys know of a good place to get a good price on the Tele, let me know. GC wants $1300 and sweetwater isn't much cheaper.

Thx
What kind of sound are you going for? Call Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. They always have great prices, and are good people as well.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 pm

My Tele Plus, the precursor to the American Deluxe, sounds good out of any tube amp. Don't sell your Crate short. I play out of a Champ II now but I got a lot of mileage out of the Peavey Classic 20. Vox AC-15. Bassman.

Look at online classifieds and be patient and one will pop up for $800. They seem to be worth about as much as the 52RI on the used market.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:48 pm

I have to go with Deluxe Reverb, AC15, or tweed Gibson GA6.

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:10 pm

i got that same guitar a month ago. i found a deal for $900. it was used but still had the plastic on the pickguard and totally clean. Since you know what you want I'd hold out and find a deal on a used one.

I play it through a Bassman and love the sound.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:41 pm

That a really depends on what you want, but a deluxe reverb is about as good as it gets for an all around amp....
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:24 pm

It is my opinion that the Fender Pro Reverb (blackface preferred some silverface OK) is delightfully paired with the telecaster. I'm not alone in this feeling. I bet you would agree. :D

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:30 pm

The Fender Hot Rod series are just great in my opinion. I've had a Hot Rod Deluxe for many years ... and through many styles. The clean channel with the bright switch in sound nearly identical to a Deluxe Reverb. The Reverb is not as "drippy."

The major flaw the amp has is the lack of a footswitch for the reverb. The bias also drifts cold over time. A couple minutes to crank the voltage back up and it's back in shape.

The Deluxe Reverb is also really nice. It's definitely much more simple but it has the nice tremolo.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Tele + Vox amp (or similar... like a Dr Z) is about as good as it gets for me. Super snappy percussive attack, awesome string definition, can growl really well with tight low end and perfectly gritty highs. Roll back the tone control and pick near the neck joint and it fattens up really well. Just a great sound that can cover tons of ground.

I like the Tele + old Super Reverb thing, too, but a lot of the newer Fender amps seem sorta icepicky too me - maybe speaker swaps would do it.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 pm

there are so many amps that can sound good with a Tele.

my advice is to short-list some amps that are in your price range and then go try them with your Tele.

in my personal experience, that's the only way to sort it out.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kevin_soda
studio intern

Post by kevin_soda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:45 pm

I have 2 '65 Fender Bassman heads that I use and they work great for an affordable vintage amp. One through a Weber 15" and on through a 2X12 Heppner. My Tele sounds good through both but for rythm it's a bit bright. The peaveys are nice and dark but watch out for tube rattle as the proximity of the tubes to the speaker, at least in the combo versions, causes the tubes to shake and wear out. All the Fender Re-issue stuff is really nice but I personally don't like the Deluxe because of the 6V6s. I would encourage you to get a cheaper guitar and a nice amp. The Mexican Re-issues are fantastic and so ar the merican Standards as well as the Highway 1 series. You can find a used Highway 1 for between $300-$500 and the used American Standards top out at about $700 for one in good shape. I do really like the American Deluxes though and I have an American Deluxe Strat.

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 am

Thank you for all of your replies. I went and bought the deluxe Tele and I must say it is simply amazing. As for amps, these are the amps I found on CL.

77 fender deluxe - 675
fender princeton chorus - 150
bassman 400 - 600
'56 twin custom 15 - 600
hot rod deluxe - 425
fender deluxe tweed reissue - 650

vox ac30 - 675

these are the amps in my price range. I'd like to find an amp with tremolo and some good reverb. What is a steal?
I'm bringin' lumberjack back!