Um, about your DI's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Anthony DeMaria Labs ADL 300-G DI.... stereo, tubes, transformers. Great!

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 pm

I have the Demeter and love the thing to death. I have always had good experiences with both the Evil Twin and the (sadly discontinued) Ampeg SVT DI. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Cheers,
Ryan

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:12 pm

Countryman.

I love it. I rarely use a mic'd bass cabinet anymore. In the space I have it only causes trouble in live recordings of bass playing the snare. If I really want it, I'll reamp, but it sounds so good that I never bother.

Maybe I've just been lucky enough to record really good basses. Except upright bass.. for some reason, every upright bass I've ever recorded has had a crummy pickup.

I am graduating from micing guitar amps with phone books as mic stands, to mic stands. So buying a new DI box is out of the question since there's SO much other shit to worry about, next on the list is a recap of some MXLs 603s that should cost under ten bucks. Maybe someday I'll go for a better DI when there isn't other stuff to upgrade. :(
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 am

You know, I don't record stuff with DIs that often, but I still manage to have a surprising number of them and regular access to a few more.

In terms of transparency, my two favorites are the BSS AR-133 and the Avenson Small DI, both of which are active. The Avenson DI is a lot like the mics: Small, efficient, and both flat and flattering at the same time. The BSS has a few more features, is larger, and a little more rugged. The Behringer's physical design is stolen from the BSS box.

Countrymans can be cool. They have a little more hefty character to them than the BSS boxes and can sound nice on cleaner, modern electric basses, like a Music Man with new-ish strings.

The Whirlwind IMP 2s are perfectly serviceable.

The original Whirlwind IMP (with impedence selector switch and the XLR cable attached) is totally awesome if you can find one.

The Avalon U5 is the hands-down winner in the features department. I don't think it's got a ton of character, but it has a lot of bells and whistles that are really useful in the thick of a session, like several useful tome presets, a rocking low-pass filter, both line and mic-level outs, a headphone output, and really smart routing. Also, contrary to popular belief, it does not have tubes in it.

I've never used one in a session, but have heard the Demeter DIs many times and I think they sound great.

I also think the ADL stereo DI is one totally great-sounding box. It can be really clean and hi-fi or really gritty if you set up in the gain controls right.

There was also an amazing DI made in the 70s for use on some of the Stevie Wonder records called the Fat Box. It was one of those early "mystery boxes" that was kind of hard to get into and had a bunch of components sealed in wax and stuff, but it's really a great-sounding DI, sort of like a much, much, thicker version of the Countryman. the box looked like a Countryman except that it was kind of copper-colored and had "Fat Box" across the top in big, bubble-like letters. They're incredible rare and only a handful were made, but if you happen to stumble across one, be sure to pick it up.

But, you know, 99% of the time that I AM recording something with a DI, it's being done in the control room, in which case I usually just plug into the front of an API or a 1272 or a Buzz Elixir or some old RCA thing or whatever.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:40 am

" CGarges wrote : " Behringer got their design from BBS"

Yeah Chris. To bad they ( Behringer) didn't implement the sound quality that that BBS has into their's..!... :roll:

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:45 am

joel hamilton wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Avalon U5, hands down. Really. I looked for years. I have ownd a zillion different DI's. When I got a U5, I stopped looking. I cant even imagine what "better" would be.
It is huge sounding, versatile, and well built. What more could I want?
I dont bother using a pre with the U5, it gets it up to line level perfectly. I actually dont like it as much when using a pre after it, no mattr what the pre is!
With its own line amp, it is absolutely stunning how much low end you can get happening... that good kind of low end that sounds huge but doesnt just swamp the 2mix.....
See, this was my reaction to the Demeter when I first heard that! In the times I've used a U5, I have come to believe that this is the best piece Avalon makes. $500+ for a DI though?
I agree about the "best thing avalon makes" 100%. But the "$500 for a DI?" how about "500 for the BEST DI EVER." does that make it seem like less money? ;)
Also, as far as thinking something is the best... yes, When I first tried a countryman DI what feels like a zillion years ago now, I thought THAT was the best DI ever. Then I thought that a countryman just required a better pre than the MCI 500 series I was rockin on at the time... Then the next one then the next one... but when I got the U5 i tried a couple of other things, contemporaries of the U5, and they werent better to me. I still will try things, and I will be the first to admit it if one "beats" my U5's, but for now, I am sticking with them. probably for years to come.
Probably just me tho. I choose my Ditto over my U-5 most of the time for bass. I like the U-5 and all, but find my Hot Box to sound quite similar in quality. Big difference in price tho!.. :?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:45 am

ledogboy wrote:I have the Demeter and love the thing to death. I have always had good experiences with both the Evil Twin and the (sadly discontinued) Ampeg SVT DI. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Cheers,
Ryan
What kind of tube is in the Demeter? Also, is there a tube in the Ampeg?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 am

The DI on the Chandler Germanium is great.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:28 pm

U5 is so good it is not even funny. it made me stop hating everything with the avalon name on it....

it continues to amaze me... that DI is pretty much the ONLY DI i will play bass through. the ADL one is sweet, and the manley is ok, but the avalon wins. we have two, and they were worth every penny.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:20 am

I'm a satisfied owner of a Ditto- they just sound "right" to me, especially on other direct input sources like keyboards and my SansAmp. Groove Tubes stopped making them because their Brick preamp has the Ditto DI input. You can find the Ditto boxes used and cheap out there...

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:18 am

kayagum wrote:I'm a satisfied owner of a Ditto- they just sound "right" to me, especially on other direct input sources like keyboards and my SansAmp. Groove Tubes stopped making them because their Brick preamp has the Ditto DI input. You can find the Ditto boxes used and cheap out there...
Hey kayagum. Let me know where to find used Dittos.. :wink:

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10 pm

I see 'em around locally.

Here's one: http://twintown.com - Inventory # 110230

OK- so this one isn't so cheap. I've seen them for under $150.