Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Danger Mouse studio tour from NYT

Post by Esmo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:10 am

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:48 am

didn't know he'd moved to nyc. i spent some time at his place in LA a few years ago. really nice guy. definitely one person that deserves his success.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:01 pm

Ha ha!, ARP Axxe. I dig it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I totally showed that picture of the ARP to my wife, and said, "See, honey, I'm not the only one who likes to relocate synths to the living room." She gave me the If-Danger-Mouse-jumped-off-a-cliff... look. So much for that ploy.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:27 pm

*glances over at Korg DW-8000 on dinner table*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:58 pm

I'm allowed a guitar amp in the living room, but only hidden by and supporting plants. The hand-drums are ornamental, which is fortunate, since I can't think of anywhere else for them to live. Dangermouse needs an interior decorator. I need a f'ing life coach to deal with the size of my apartment. Finally got the studio room desk (and floor) comfortably cleared off so that the little lady can use it as a visual art and writing space. This has reduced tension at my house a lot.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:59 am

i lucked out in the sense that when we bought our house 5 years ago (and hadn't had kids yet) i staked out one of the bedrooms as a music room.

now we have a toddler who's into music more and more with each passing day, so i think it's safe to say i won't be losing it to a "play room".

just as well, since our whole house already looks like a toy store exploded! :lol:

only regret: the music room shares a wall with the kids room so i can't do anything at night without waking them up!

okay, hijack over. :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:28 am

rpmsongs wrote:didn't know he'd moved to nyc. i spent some time at his place in LA a few years ago. really nice guy. definitely one person that deserves his success.
According to the article, his studio (pictured in the article) is still in LA.

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 pm

We built out the basement of our Chicago bungalow a few years back and specified about a 3rd of the floor plan as my studio. Which is good because we have 2 kids now and I couldn't imagine having to fight for space now.

I like to rearrange furniture every 6 months or so...that keeps my space clean and keeps too much crap from building up.
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm

the hourglass is a great idea. i think a couple hour glasses of a couple different uh.. times? is a good addition to a studio.

YOU HAVE TILL THE RED HOUR GLASS RUNS OUT TO DETERMINE YOUR FAVORITE PATCH FOR THE SYNTH BASS.

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:04 pm

kayagum wrote:
rpmsongs wrote:didn't know he'd moved to nyc. i spent some time at his place in LA a few years ago. really nice guy. definitely one person that deserves his success.
According to the article, his studio (pictured in the article) is still in LA.
ah, then it's in a new space. it was in he and his partners house when i was there.