new guy to the forum

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cozy
gettin' sounds

new guy to the forum

Post by cozy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:09 pm

hi everybody. i think this is the right forum, if not, please let me know.

i just purchased an akai gx-255. the left output channel works sometimes. meaning that if i wiggle the rca cable i can get the left output to sound. last night i pulled the bottom off and took a look at the board that the rca jack is connected to and saw that it was soldered. the guy i bought it from told me that he soldered it, but wasnt very good at soldering.

my question is, based on what ive described, does anyone think that i should have it resoldered? i mean could it just be a bad solder job?

or should i have it repaired? what kind of places repair these old machines? i dont even know where to look.

and just for the record, i am faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from being an electrician or engineer. so im not saavy on tech talk. or repairing things myself. i suck at soldering, but am willing to practice a little if it seems that it may work.

thanks in advance.

cozy

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:29 pm

It does sound like a bad solder joint, OR the printed circuit foil may have a crack due to years of having the jack wiggling around when a plug is inserted.

Welcome aboard!

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:35 am

thanks brian.

while i was sitting here last night, i managed to remove the case and see the connection, rather, the lack of a connection between that channel and the board. not to mention the weld that the guy i bought it from looks like a big ball of metal thats not even touching the board, so i am going to pick up a soldering iron solder remover tonight and give it a shot.

while i was messing around i managed to get to the point that it wont playback, i think i just loosened the already bad solder joint.

anyways, i will let you all know how it turns out tonight.

thanks for the reply brian and i will see you around the forum. :D

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:42 am

As Brian said the print on the board may be broken as well. You can take a sharp knife and scrape some the paint off the print that is next to it and solder to it as well. If its real bad you may also want to place a short jumper from the metal on the jack to the next closest solder pad.

Welcome to the board!
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:43 pm

hey, thanks for the reply rod. i basically reheated the solder that the guy i bought it from and spread it out a little and i have a signal. that is on the bottom of the board, i want to add some to the top, rather the inside connection of the rca jack to the board itself, but its kind of akward. theres a bracket in the way and my solder iron is to long.

do they make right angled tips for solder irons? because that is exactly what i need.

thanks to both of you for the reply. and thanks for the welcome! :D

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:06 pm

alright, i got the insde connection soldered and this thing sounds great!

new question:

lubrication. what do i use to lubricate this reel to reel tape deck, and where do i actually lube? the take up wheel is kind of squeeky. but im not sure if thats to be expected of a 30+ year old machine.

also, i didnt get a manual and cannot find a free one online. sorry for the what and where question, but i am new to the world of vintage audio. if there is a link for maintenance or something of the sorts, please point me in the right direction. thanks!!

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:09 am

I am not familar with that recorder...how many motors? Pro machines use three motors, and others (including a few of the Olde "pro portable") machines uses a bunch of belts and other mechanical contraptions, all driven from a single motor.

Well..then there is the Ampex PR-10/AG-500 which used two motors.....

Bri
Oklahoma City, OK

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:56 am

good morning brian. again, thanks for the reply. here is a link to the specs for this thing. most of it is greek to me!

http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedecks/23084.htm

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am

OK, it is indeed a 3 motor machine; one motor for the capstan, and individual motors for each of the reel spindles. That website didn't say if the capstan is directly driven by the motor, or if it uses a belt drive + flywheel. In that later case, the bushing/bearing for the capstan *might* require periodic oiling. However, only a service manual would have the specific info.

Some recorders also need a drop of oil every year or so for the pinchroller bearing(s). I keep a bottle of "Zoom Spout" turbine oil on-hand for misc. lubrication:

http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/parts/oc-11.html

Bri
Oklahoma City, OK

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Zoom Spout is awesome. I got it at Jo Ann Fabrics.

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 pm

thanks again brian. i will grab some of that stuff asap!

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:24 am

Just don't "go nuts" when oiling! You can do more damage than good if not careful.

Many of Ye Olde recorders do require oiling of the upper capstan bearings. In those cases, there is a screw-off cap that surrounds the capstan shaft, but I can't tell from the pic you linked if the Akai has that. *If* the cover/cap that is around the capstan shaft is removable, take it off to see if there might be a felt (or similar fiber) washer hiding under the cap. It should be easily visible if it exists, and if you see that, a couple of drops of Zoom Spout oil can be dripped onto the washer. Do NOT "flood" the felt washer with oil.

Bri
Oklahoma City, OK

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:52 am

thanks for the extra tips. i have to find a manual so that i understand the nomenclature of the parts. anyone know where to get a free download of the manual? i googled it, yahoo'd it and ask.com'd it and i just keep finding it for sale, which leads me to believe its not out there.

does anyone know a reputable place to buy an electronic version of a manual?

i guess this probably goes in another forum.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:21 am

Mark Glinsky's Manual Manor is pretty reasonable, and he has lots of stuff.

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:11 am

thanks man. i appreciate the guidence!