b3groover wrote:
oldguitars wrote:
dwlb wrote: ? Chapman Sticks
? Guitars with more than 6 strings
? Basses with more than 4 strings
? Splash cymbals
? China Boy cymbals
? Piccolo Snares

...should be wiped from the face of the earth and any player who dares bring them to a session should be ridiculed mercilessly...

pretty much.

Typically, the people using these tools use them in the most cliche way that seldom supports or enhances music.
Right, and all guitarists that stick to the traditional 6-string, especially when they play rock, are innovators and never play cliches.

How cliche is it to strap on a guitar and start a rock band?
Exactly.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:23 pm

For 2008 I'm making the new version of the vaudeville on-man-band. 2 splash cymbals between me knees, a Simmons BD on my back (much lighter than an old marching drum), brass piccolo snare for my left hand and a Chapman stick and Keytar for my right!

In 2008 I will be the lamest, then the hippest, and finally the most clich? cat in town!

blixton
takin' a dinner break

Post by blixton » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:59 pm

I think Gabriel's music benefited wonderfully form the chapman stick.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:22 pm

blixton wrote:I think Gabriel's music benefited wonderfully form the chapman stick.
Me too. Deep notes that stop and start faster than a bass guitar... but with more meat than a synth bass.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:54 pm

dwlb wrote:
...but really, who is being self-important, the guy who plays a particular instrument because he enjoys its sound and likes the music he makes with it, or the guy who appoints himself the Hip Rock Gear Police?

Being awake for 40 hours straight has made me grouchy.
I'm flattered that you take my goofiness to heart. Perhaps you could counsel my wife about how everything I say should be taken very, very seriously and not dismissed out of hand. I'd appreciate it if she paid half as much attention to what I say as you do.

Really, take it all with a huge grain of salt. I was joking. The only instruments that instantly signal to me that I won't enjoy the music being played on them are:

? Chapman Sticks
? Splash cymbals
? China Boy cymbals
? Piccolo Snares

... oh... wait a minute.

:lol:

Get some sleep, you'll feel much better.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:51 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:dwlb wrote:
...but really, who is being self-important, the guy who plays a particular instrument because he enjoys its sound and likes the music he makes with it, or the guy who appoints himself the Hip Rock Gear Police?

Being awake for 40 hours straight has made me grouchy.
I'm flattered that you take my goofiness to heart. Perhaps you could counsel my wife about how everything I say should be taken very, very seriously and not dismissed out of hand. I'd appreciate it if she paid half as much attention to what I say as you do.

Really, take it all with a huge grain of salt. I was joking. The only instruments that instantly signal to me that I won't enjoy the music being played on them are:

? Chapman Sticks
? Splash cymbals
? China Boy cymbals
? Piccolo Snares

... oh... wait a minute.

:lol:

Get some sleep, you'll feel much better.
Trust me man, I was being as goofy as you were.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/