//Under Construction// Blog for Chicago's Studio 660

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audionaut
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by audionaut » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:59 pm

sonicmook56 wrote:Can you share that spread sheet?
The Studio Design Forum (John Sayer's site) where I am also blogging the construction allows for file attachments. Here's the link for the excel file:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=20054
It's pretty basic, but I hope it helps.
:D

audionaut

Temporary delay

Post by audionaut » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:17 am

Please forgive the slack in this blog:
All is well.
I'll get back to the studio in a few days to finish up the trim in the main CR and post progress on the rest of the facility.
Last edited by audionaut on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Congratulations! I hope Mom and daughter are doing well.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Congrats to all!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 pm

oh no! two children competing for time and expenses!

(the human one and the studio, i mean)

congrats! hope all is well!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

jtdeans
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtdeans » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 am

i'm curious as to why you went with 2 ISA428s - I've never used one, though ive heard mixed things about them. (although i assume since you have 2 units you must love them) no?

audionaut

Post by audionaut » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 pm

jtdeans wrote:i'm curious as to why you went with 2 ISA428s - I've never used one, though ive heard mixed things about them. (although i assume since you have 2 units you must love them) no?
I fell in love with the original ISA (mic pre/eq) about 10 years ago when the studio I worked at had a custom 12channel purple Focusrite side car next to our SSL. I also really enjoyed the original (racked) ISA 215's too. The preamp in the 428 is (to my ears) very similar to that original.
Focusrite is walking up a slippery slope with it's older (original) Rupert designed High-end gear being slowly replaced by low priced, Chinese made gear that's made for budget studios and DAW integration. Although the name still draws in the Guitar Center crowd, the true gearslutz seem to be turning their backs on Focusrite for selling out.
Personally, I never cared for the "Green series" (their first attempt at a budget product), the "Red" series (all faceplate, no tone) or their "Platinum" stuff. The ISA range and the original "Blue" range (mostly mastering stuff) was always exceptional.
When I was picking out the other mic pre's for this room I went with Amek, Aurora, & Daking for their character, color and contrast. The ISA's were picked last to fill things out when we need multiple "uncolored" inputs (we're console-less in this room) and they excel in this capacity. While they wouldn't make many desert island lists, the 428's are clean, have LOTS of gain, switchable impedance, DI's, selectable Hi-pass filters and VU meters. Not too shabby for about $325 a channel.
If I had more cash on hand, those 8 channels would have been a buffet of 500 series API, Germanium, Shadow Hills & Purple Biz pre's. If I had less to spend they would have been Syteks.

audionaut

Happy New Year!

Post by audionaut » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:42 am

DEC 31, 2007:
Happy New Year!!! We really, really will be finishing up the studio in the next month or two... Really!
Many updates to follow shortly.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Bump: update please! :wink:

I have ISA pres in my studio and I like 'em.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

audionaut

Guess it's been a while, huh?

Post by audionaut » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 am

Hey all... Here's the story. I was offered another engineering gig at the end of January that promised to deliver considerably larger, consistent (weekly) paychecks... Considering that my prior employer had been particularly lax in the consistent payment department for the past couple of months, I walked away from the studio that I had designed and (partially) built and started my new gig on Feb 1st. Normally I would just roll with the punches and say "that's the music business," but I have my wife and new daughter to think about.
As I parted ways with my old employer, he said that he still planned on making the completion of the studio a priority and I would love to see it happen. What we had built up to that point sounded awesome, but it was also the third recording studio construction project we'd started in as many years. Sadly, I'm not sure if anything will come from this effort either. It's just a shame.
:(
dwlb - sorry, no Focusrite pres at the new location, but how do API, Helios, Shadow Hills, 1073, 1066, Daking & GML pres sound? I'll tell you what... They sound pretty F*!king awesome through a 7 card PT HD accel rig with a Lavery front end.
- I do miss the Germanium compressors though.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:28 am

Those all sound awesome...I have a GML pre at work and I love it.

Congrats on the new family and new job. What's the gig? If it's not supersecret...

audionaut

Studio 660

Post by audionaut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

meanwhile, several years later...
Not only has studio 660 soldiered on since my departure, but they're going to expand and I'll be assisting and doing the acoustic design. Stay tuned.
"Make everything louder than everything else."
http://www.soundsage.com