How would you record this?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

beebe
studio intern

Post by beebe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:06 am

I should preface with: I haven't listened to anything, just throwing out one crazy idea.

Try panning the bass and guitar really hard. Have a DI for both to blend with the mics. You should have all the bass you need from the DI's. Just roll off all the DI high and mid, or scoop.

Make sure the mics and DI's are in phase.

And maybe use some stereo effects (like a little reverb or delay on each) or pan each back a little to they are not so isolated.

Also make sure the DI signals don't pass through anything without great low end response. I'd just go straight in from the guitars and use only the lowest part of the signal so you still have all your amp sound.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm

It's just my personal opinion, but it doesn't sound like you're a minimalist, so I'd try to get as much signal to work with as possible. Get a mic or two on the cab and a DI. Get the meat of your tone with the mic'd track and then play around with the DI. That way you can play around with compression and preamps to maximize that thud without squashing your original track. If your effects get pretty elaborate you could even skip it in the tracking, reamp from the DI signal and record it with the effects in line to keep them clear in the mix while still getting your low end thud from what you've already tracked. Save some time tracking, put it on the mix.

Normally I'm not really in favor of very elaborate setups for recording bass, but like I said it seems like you've got a pretty complex setup and that could easily turn to mush. You emphasize one aspect, you lose another. Having multiple tracks to work with helps out with that, if you have the time and capability for it. It would probably be a lot of trial and error, but you would only have to track once, hopefully.

Of course you've also got to start with a well crafted bass tone too. So I'd consider planning for some knob twiddling time.