Optimizing Intel Mac for Protools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Optimizing Intel Mac for Protools

Post by wyattt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm

So, I've been a protools user with an 002 for a few years now, but I recently just upgraded from my powerbook to a mac mini intel duo core. I'm finding that eventhough I have a dual processor and signifigantly faster computer, Protools doesn't like running more than 20 tracks (no plugs) usually at least 6 of which are in record mode at about 128 or 256 buffer size. This is signifigantly less than my powerbook could handle. So what gives? I haven't wiped the mac of anything but protools, but my powerbook worked fine for office and recording. I have an ext. FW drrive which is the same drive I have been using. I'm running 7.3.5 by the way. Are there some optimization options I haven't tapped into yet?

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 pm

What's your RAM situation, ie, what did you have in your Powerbook and how much is in the Mini? All the Mini models have integrated graphics, which means that the graphics card uses your system memory instead of having its own. This can eat up RAM fast, so if you were using a Powerbook that had the same amount of RAM but a dedicated graphics card, you now effectively have less RAM than you did before.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 pm

What OS are you running? I've been told 10.4.9 is the best bet.

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Post by wyattt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:02 pm

I am running 10.4.9 for my OS. My RAM in the PB was 1 gig, in the mini it is 1.25 gigs. I'll look into the graphics issue.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Re: Optimizing Intel Mac for Protools

Post by palinilap » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:41 pm

wyattt wrote:So, I've been a protools user with an 002 for a few years now, but I recently just upgraded from my powerbook to a mac mini intel duo core. I'm finding that eventhough I have a dual processor and signifigantly faster computer, Protools doesn't like running more than 20 tracks (no plugs) usually at least 6 of which are in record mode at about 128 or 256 buffer size. This is signifigantly less than my powerbook could handle. So what gives? I haven't wiped the mac of anything but protools, but my powerbook worked fine for office and recording. I have an ext. FW drrive which is the same drive I have been using. I'm running 7.3.5 by the way. Are there some optimization options I haven't tapped into yet?
Are you keeping the buffer that low to reduce latency? The Low Latency Monitoring function would take care of that. I would keep the playback buffer at 512. Increasing your RAM would also help.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:56 am

wyattt wrote: just upgraded from my powerbook to a mac mini intel duo core.
So that's a single processor with a dual core? Cause there is that wierd thing with multi-processors having issues with low buffer settings. If you need low buffer settings I'd try to reduce the number of processors you are using in the "Hardware" dialog (I think - maybe it's the "playback engine"- I can never remember after 10 years of PT!?!)

I did just upgrade to the newest PT as well as my plugs, and holy shite is this thing humming now (G5 quad 2.5 2G RAM)!! I had some older plugs that weren't CS/PT7 approved...

-J[/quote]