decent eq for the mix buss

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

decent eq for the mix buss

Post by joninc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 pm

lately i got to do some work in a few studios that had some avalon eqs and we used them on the mix buss to add a little bit of top end and a little bump in the low end - cut a little mud from the lower mids etc.. i really liked
working this way and it has already helped me hear my mixes in a new way and make improvements at the tracks to clear up the mud etc...

so i would like to get something that i can use to run the mix through to get it a little closer - not radical stuff - to where i want it before mastering. i know some may argue that is taking the mastering engineers job but i liked it and my goal is to get it as close as possible - then hand it off to a good ME for balances, volume boosting etc..

i don't heavily compress the mix (often no compression at all) and i wouldn't be heavily eqing it either.

i have just entered the api world and have 1 560 with one more on the way - i am looking forward to trying those and seeing what they can do on the mix. i know daniel lanois used some to run his "shine" album through (premastering or something). i am also considering a used avalon 747 as a reasonably priced piece to sweeten and gently contour the mix a bit. once studio i worked in had one and i really liked it. i haven't used the compressor in it - that's purely a bonus as i don't know of other eq's in that price range that sound as smooth.

recommends? thoughts? things to consider?

thanks guys -
j
the new rules : there are no rules

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:29 am

If you're looking to drop the kinda money on nice EQ like API, see if you can find some Melcor GME-20's. I like them on the 2-mix. Two bands really, so just a touch of top and bottom control. Sounds like rock...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 am

pultecs are great for this.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:54 am

Burgess is making Sontecs again. That's my personal favorite for doing exactly what you're describing.

I've used APIs for this (560s and 550As) and they're cool, but I really prefer something totally parametric for this job these days.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:26 pm

A consensus seems to be the Night 3DEQs are good for this type of thing too. I plan on building one to finding out for sure. Let us know how you make out!

-J

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm

can you guys send links to these pieces of gear?

who is burgess? what are sontecs....

thanks!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:20 pm

joninc wrote:who is burgess? what are sontecs....
Burgess MacNeal. He's the guy who built the Sontec EQs. There's plenty of information on them out there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 pm

mupppets are aftermer.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:21 pm

I either find myself using a manley massive passive or a chandler curve bender. I use the chandler more than the manley, but sometimes the manley high shelf is just the thing I need. I have a pair of pultec EQP1's and a mercury EQP1 at my disposal, and I have never liked them across the mix.

The chandler curve bender is a great EQ. If I could only have one EQ for the 2mix it would be that one.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:08 pm

joninc wrote:who is burgess? what are sontecs....
Burgess MacNeal, along with George Massenburg, is one of the main inventors of the parametric equalizer. He and George designed and built the first parametric eq's under the ITI Audio brand and then later started their own company under the Sontec name. Their MES-4xx series became a favorite of mastering studios and is still considered by many to be the best sounding eq ever built. A history of the Sontec mastering eq's can be read at http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2004/dece ... tent4.html

Burgess kind of disappeared from public view for a few years in the late 90's / early 2000's due to personal reasons - but he had a booth at AES in NYC October 2007 to announce that he was back to repairing and building the Sontec & ITI eq's under the business name of ITI Audio again.

You can check out scans I made with his price list and specs off the brochures he had out at AES at:
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/iti/1.jpg
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/iti/2.jpg
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/iti/3.jpg
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/iti/4.jpg
http://www.totalsonic.net/aes/iti/5.jpg

Since the ITI Audio website isn't up yet -
I've also posted an info page on the Sontec MEP250EX eq's, including photos and all of the info brochure sheets at
http://www.totalsonic.net/sontec.htm

Anyway - the Sontec eq's are definitely excellent sounding (the high shelf in particular is the sweetest I've ever heard) and would work excellent as an eq on the 2-buss. Be aware that wait times for new Sontec eq's are definitely on the long side though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 pm

holy crap - thanks for the info guys but maybe i wasn't being clear - i don't have 3-6k to drop on a stereo eq. i am sure these are totally amazing units but i seriously doubt that any of them are in my near future. i am looking for something more affordable but decent. is there nothing under 2k that you would ever use on the mix buss?

no avalon users?

no api love?

no weirdo old stuff that you like for something like this? orban?

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 am

I've been wondering about this too. The Manley Mini Massive looks like it could be a competent and more affordable option to the Massive Passive.

Would a pair of Specks be decent?

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:25 am

What about the Toft ATC-2? i've used the EQ, and observed its use, and it's sick. i can't see why it wouldn't sound good over a whole mix.

there are line inputs on each channel, that i'm 99% sure bypass the pre-amp section.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 am

joninc wrote:holy crap - thanks for the info guys but maybe i wasn't being clear - i don't have 3-6k to drop on a stereo eq. i am sure these are totally amazing units but i seriously doubt that any of them are in my near future. i am looking for something more affordable but decent. is there nothing under 2k that you would ever use on the mix buss?

no avalon users?

no api love?

no weirdo old stuff that you like for something like this? orban?
If the components are not up to snuff, you wind up with a bottleneck in exactly the place where you dont want one: on the 2mix.

I would rather just not use an EQ across the mix if there were not some good quality pieces to use.

For cheaper, I would look into some Neumann PEV modules. Rack those up and you would be rocking. Cheaper than API stuff, and built like a tank. They are also detented, so geting them spot on L-R is really easy. the Melcors would do that, but I feel like they just dont have the headroom that the neumanns do, but otherwise are sort of in the same league. I have pairs of each in one rack, and the melcors are some really killer EQ's, but I personally wouldnt throw them on the mix. The neumann's , however, are totally made to deal with that sort of thing.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 am

cool - i hear what you are saying about bottlenecking and that's why i ask. i know it's a crucial stage and i don't want to mess with it but i am sure there are some older pieces that aren't AS expensive that would work. i don't need a gazillion options - just something well made to help with shaping the sound a little. not doing surgery etc...

any idea where someone could find Neumann PEV modules? a hunt of ebay (including completed listings) shows nothing...