Trash to Treasure Tube Amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Trash to Treasure Tube Amp

Post by Roboburger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Scored and old Grommes Custom amp at a flea market a few summers ago (or maybe the one before that), just found it again in the basement.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Roboburger/ ... 4051505090
there's four photos at that link.

People on the web talk about them fondly as mono power amps, but I wouldn't get any use there. I'm thinking guitar amp. I'm gonna yank the electronics, as they are all coated with a film of yuck, and in some cases BUBBLING UP. I'm gonna assume that the Output Tranny will be fine with whatever I build in there as long as I stay 6V6 and keep the electronics there similar. The power tranny is putting out 700 volts and 6.5 volts, and it looks hearty-er than the ones in a silvertone, so I imagine I can build someting Tweed-esque, Deluxe-esqe, into this. The tubes are a 5Y3, 2x 6V6, 3x 12AX7. I will assume that the tranny can handle that load once I get new caps and electronics in there. So I'm off to my Tube Books to see what early amp I'm gonna clone. I think a sweet-ass gibson amp would be nice, too- weren't they ripping off the same RCA tube manual stuff as fender?

I have a bit of reading to do- this is my first project ever like this...

the GA 20 looks nice. I wonder if those pre tubes are eqiv to 12ax7, just wired differently... I love my old Galaxie.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/photos/al ... _ga20b.jpg

Hee-hee- I haven't even started yet and I'm giddy. Off to the books. And any comments will be considered, my friends.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:56 pm

You may want to just re-cap and listen before you go to the trouble of gutting it entirely. It may be great as-is. They built good stuff. That thing is clean as hell, IMHO. Those caps aren't bubbly, they're wax coated and that brand always looks like that. They may work as is, but that type is usually leaky and require replacing.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:24 pm

I agree with emrr--listen before you gut. I got an old hifi tube amp from a friend's dad's basement that sounds good after only minor modification. It'd be worth looking for a schematic for it, or maybe trying to draw it out yourself if you're up for it.

Tom

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:53 pm

I'd just fire it up. Looks Sweet. I always tend to try to leave the old stuff in place. After all, if you use that you are going for some vintage sound.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:34 pm

shows how much i know! I'll round up the tubes and put em in!

I just saw all the goo and figured it was shot.

Dang (sarcastic) I was all set to whup something up.

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lanterns » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:10 pm

I'd be rocking that thing as we speak if I were you, that thing looks better than the inside of my 70's fender champ.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Found the tubes this morning, at least the 5y3 and 6v6s. All tiny RCAs. grabbed some of the 12ax7s that are piled up in various boxes. slapped 'em in.

Fired it up, and a minute into it, I could smell the wax heating up! Serious Motor-boating whenever the bass knob was above all-the-way-off. barely any volume, but what there was was a treat. I popped the fuse after another two minutes of playing, so no photos of its' reanimation glory just yet.

So the next step will be a cleaning and some more reading.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 pm

At let me be clear, I am not a tube connoisseur or craftsman. I am the equivalent of an oil-change guy relative to a mechanic. I can read a schematic, operate a volt ohm meter, and conceptualize what's happening. I really enjoy working with electronics and the hunt that takes place when fixing something. It's gonna be a hoot getting this thing up and running.