Regarding Melodyne "direct note access"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MidiBill
audio school

Regarding Melodyne "direct note access"

Post by MidiBill » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm sure this has already had it's own topic , but I'm curious as to how it actually "works"

My guess is after the chords are distinguished the way the individual notes are "Extracted" is by "filling in" the harmonic gaps of the individual notes with modified information from the rest of the chord. So in effect the notes arn't actually "extracted" - whats really happening is the chord is being morphed through some kind of synthesis process to change it into it's respective "notes".

If anyone actually understands the process beyond being a "user" I would like to hear about it.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't know how they're doing it, but what's baking noodles is that one can not only change pitch of individual notes in a chord, one can move timing, too.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:58 pm

It's all about selecting. They have a display that shows you all the different parts of a chord. Like taking the normal 2 dimensional Seismograph wave thing and turning into a 3d thing where you not only see up and down but sideways as well. If you can "see" it, you can select it, and therefore modify it.
Other than that I have no idea how it actually works.
It will be vilified and glorified and abused and discussed a lot in the coming months.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Melodyne is cool!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm

now i can totally play the wrong chords as well as sing the wrong notes, and just demand that the engineer fix it in the mix. :D

all joking aside, i tip my hat to the guys that engineer this stuff. amazing technology with great potential.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am

It can and will definitely be abused, but what a great tool. Just this weekend I was tracking my trio live, all in the same room. No isolation. One messed up note and you gotta do it again, even if the energy is killin'. With DNA, you could potentionally fix that one note without messing up any of the "bleed" and preserving the good energy of the take.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 am

the mere existence of this makes me want to find multitracks for a completely oblique band like u.s. maple and meticulously turn one of their songs into a straightforward pop tune.

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 am

It looks impressive. Note that the demo uses clean guitar, electric piano - just the sort of simple waveforms with which polyphonic sound > MIDI applications HAVE demonstrated a certain level of success. Maybe they've cracked it for a wider range of sounds. Let's wait and see.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:35 am

thieves wrote:the mere existence of this makes me want to find multitracks for a completely oblique band like u.s. maple and meticulously turn one of their songs into a straightforward pop tune.
I've always wanted to take a soulful singer who's never perfectly in tune, like Van Morrison, and tune the voice.

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:50 am

>I've always wanted to take a soulful singer who's never perfectly in tune, like Van Morrison, and tune the voice

That's what the current Melodyne is very good at, as long as you have the separate voice track available :-) But don't get too excited. As I read it, the new feature deals with the separate voices of polyphonic instruments on their own track, not with single instruments in the full mix.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:28 pm

exalted wombat wrote:As I read it, the new feature deals with the separate voices of polyphonic instruments on their own track, not with single instruments in the full mix.
The example in this vid using a Chet Baker recording, says (scarily) differently... around 11 minutes in.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:40 am

Impressive indeed! It will be very interesting when we can try it on our own material. Whether it's quite ready or not, at least those people who maintain there's a law of physics which precludes "un-baking the cake" will now have to shut up :-)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:33 am

I am so completely excited to get this in my hands....

the creaive possibilities of this plug far surpass anything I have seen in years now. Amazing.
Truly amazing tool.
To think of it as a "band aid" at this point is as myopic as it is boring.

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:41 am

It looks like it might be a great tool. But let's not lose sight of the fact that "creative" is what the original musician played. If we were at the creation end of things we'd just go back and play it right/play it different.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:38 am

exalted wombat wrote:It looks like it might be a great tool. But let's not lose sight of the fact that "creative" is what the original musician played. If we were at the creation end of things we'd just go back and play it right/play it different.
The folks at Melodyne really named this technology perfectly by calling it DNA.

This debate, which will not die, is increasingly similar to the debate that followed the initial discovery of the DNA double helix by Watson/Crick/Franklin. Many people objected altogether to the thought that we might 'crack the code' of life and understand the code in terms of its component parts, just as people seem to object here to the idea that mixed music might be disassembled and the parts rearranged.

I am on the Joel side of the debate. Humans are tool users. Why would we object to having a new tool?