Yes, you're stupid to have waited so long
11%
Yes, come to the dark side
46%

Total votes: 28

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Yo. What about having to replace all of your plugins? Have you factored in that cost?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:50 pm

I'd get that one, plus another more scary screen that was just black with white text scrolled down it, like a DOS screen. "Kernal Panic ... " sprinkled here and there. And then there were the times when the cursor froze and the keyboard was useless. Whoever says Macs never crash just aren't trying hard enough.

Today I had my first Vista crash. My 9-year-old nephew (who calls himself a "total expert at Windows") was doing something on my laptop. Five minutes after I started using it, the computer the screen froze and then told me to "click here to find out more about your problem." I didn't know they hired Dr. Phil.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:57 pm

wedge wrote:Yo. What about having to replace all of your plugins? Have you factored in that cost?
The only plugins I have now are for my Powercore card and they have versions for either platform (and no pesky issues about changing from machine to machine since it's all about the card.) I also use the Fish Fillets which are free and cross-platform too. I ditched my Waves stuff after getting a dose of their idiocy.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

The Spark wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Hey, no fair bringing up the bsod. Cheap shot.
Too make it fair lets also discuss the apple multicultural screen of death:

I've seen that screen three times in the last year, but I've seen a bsod once i 02 when a video card was half dead in a dell laptop.

it's now a decently messed up osx install, given. but aren't osx installs supposed to not mess up, and "just work" ? Sometimes the finder will freeze when I try to open something, like an avi or wav file off a dvd-r and it won't let me eject it, unless I shut it down and reboot.

Windows has been kind to me, I guess because I stayed the fuck away from vista.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:07 pm

The Spark wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Hey, no fair bringing up the bsod. Cheap shot.
Too make it fair lets also discuss the apple multicultural screen of death:

The part you're missing is that the MSOD is usually accompanied by the high, keening sound of every fan in the machine running at full RPM. Multicultural and multi-media.
Prog out with your cog out.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Maybe it would be more helpful to frame the unspoken debate going on here in terms of another well-know and equally obnoxious "brand tiff": Ford vs Chevy. Why not put a logo of Calvin pissing on the Mac/Windows logo somewhere in the control room?
In any case, I'm not sure of the value of saying I had a/an { insert Mac model or PC component here } and it arrived DOA. I recall about a year ago running into a C414XLS that came in dead on arrival from AKG. Means they all suck, right? If they guy who hands your Germanium to the guy who puts it on the delivery truck drops it, Chandler's crap too?
Prog out with your cog out.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:15 pm

superaction80 wrote:Maybe it would be more helpful to frame the unspoken debate going on here in terms of another well-know and equally obnoxious "brand tiff": Ford vs Chevy. Why not put a logo of Calvin pissing on the Mac/Windows logo somewhere in the control room?
In any case, I'm not sure of the value of saying I had a/an { insert Mac model or PC component here } and it arrived DOA. I recall about a year ago running into a C414XLS that came in dead on arrival from AKG. Means they all suck, right? If they guy who hands your Germanium to the guy who puts it on the delivery truck drops it, Chandler's crap too?
I hear you. I was kind of reluctant to start the thread for this very reason and I had hoped the way I phrased the question was more of a "what things should I look out for" query.

Since I first posted I realized you can buy a perfectly good used Mac for a few hundred bucks. Well in my case have one given to me, so the cost thing is sort of out the window (so to speak). It's pretty clear that this all boils down to personal preference. Things break, even tape decks and that is a given.

Thanks everyone for the input!