Post by roscoenyc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:17 am

Don't tie one hand behind my back.
Make it great.
Whatever it takes.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Brian wrote:
red cross wrote:When you're working with the calibre of musicians Bruce Swedien does, you don't need alot of compression, if any at all. The rest of us aren't as lucky most of the time.
I'll second that. Work in a big place and see the talent, move out to some backwater southern town "where the judge got bloodstains on his hands" and see the hacks mostly but talent sometimes, mostly religious groups.
Right.

Because no musical innovation ever came out of the American South.
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Yeah I'm listening to the stuff on mapleshade now, im not sure i like the sound. It sounds pretty 'raw' I guess, not sure how else to describe it. Definitely doesn't sound polished. It's pretty unique though. I liked the fallen angel song I sampled however. I didn't like the punk band thing I listened to, I don't understand why he wouldnt add something to it, like eq. And how DOES he mix it exactly? Also, I listened to that beatles song she said she said, and I can hear that compression sound I'm pretty sure. Did george martin use a lot of compression or just when he felt it suited the music? Also I tried looking online for more info on these producers:Eskil L?vstr?m, Pelle Henricsson, they recorded Refused's album The shape of punk to come... and the last 2 poison the well albums. I'm sure you guys might not like those bands, but I definitely like the sound they get. Not sure why theres nothing online about him/them. When I listen to the album versions by poison the well, it almost sounds like he uses ilttle compression, but im not sure. It sounds really good to me, and realistic somehow. I'd like to know what some of you guys think.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:59 pm

AnalogousGumdropDecoder wrote:
Brian wrote:
red cross wrote:When you're working with the calibre of musicians Bruce Swedien does, you don't need alot of compression, if any at all. The rest of us aren't as lucky most of the time.
I'll second that. Work in a big place and see the talent, move out to some backwater southern town "where the judge got bloodstains on his hands" and see the hacks mostly but talent sometimes, mostly religious groups.
Right.

Because no musical innovation ever came out of the American South.
Just backwater towns "where the judge in the town has bloodstains on his hands".
Trust me, I'm there, there is talent, but, most of what it is, is hacks, "give you a heart attackackackackackack."
I am just not serious enough about stuff.
Harumph!

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Post by k Holmes » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

ALLAN PARSONS - (Dark Side Of The Moon)

...Nuff Said...
I thought I remembered that he used compression on the 2-buss for everything except drums...

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:45 am

roscoenyc wrote:Don't tie one hand behind my back.
Make it great.
Whatever it takes.
Yep.
joel hamilton wrote:Learning to use something properly is crucial, especially when the thing is considered "dangerous." Would someone decide to never, ever, as a rule, use a knife because it could cut them? how about the stove? or a car?

Not knowing how to properly use things certainly makes the chances that something will occur very high.

I absolutely, 100% disagree with the whole concept of "audio purist." Just my opinion, remember.

In my experience, almost every person I have ever met that claims to hold the "purist " torch way up over their heads, does not seem to have a fundamental understanding of the way recording works, and therefore clings to the "simpler days" of recording. That would seem to be more of an "audio conservative" than "purist." These people never seem to be able to use the devices that they categorically reject as "mumbo jumbo" much like a befuddled grandfather with a VCR remote in the 80's.

To me, it is a much more "pure" approach to use every possible tool I can to simply transcend the medium. Make a lot of choices, make a lot of little adjustments, until your recordings sound like the band, only better.
I dont want to hear the engineer, I want to hear the band. That doent come from the engineer doing NOTHING, that comes from a zillion decisions and a deep understanding of all the tools to put the bands vision/sounds through the speakers.
Much like making a movie: would Star Wars have been a "better" movie if it had been a single camera shot in real time??? How about "supersize me", "king corn", or "city of lost children?" Even the documentaries would have suffered... the album should tell a story, and feel full of life, and energy... and be engaging at all times to the listener.

more random thoughts: Every single device we use was invented by a type of "purist" seeking to bring the experience of recorded music to a new level! Thats right! The people who developed compressors actually designed them to help squeeze the massive sounds of an orchestra through a system that inherently did not have enough dynamic range to bring that experience to the living room!
"Truth".

I spent too much time being a sissy about compression, only because "purists" on messageboards an in magazine told me to think that way. I've been learning to trust my judgment. It feels (and sounds) good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: When I'm mixing, I easily spend half my time "degrading" audio in ways that sound musically appropriate to my ears.

(and, incidentally, 'city of lost children' is an awesome movie. If you haven't seen it yet, you should.)
Last edited by fossiltooth on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:33 am

generichumanperson wrote:Yeah I'm listening to the stuff on mapleshade now, im not sure i like the sound. It sounds pretty 'raw' I guess, not sure how else to describe it. Definitely doesn't sound polished. It's pretty unique though. I liked the fallen angel song I sampled however. I didn't like the punk band thing I listened to, I don't understand why he wouldnt add something to it, like eq. And how DOES he mix it exactly? Also, I listened to that beatles song she said she said, and I can hear that compression sound I'm pretty sure. Did george martin use a lot of compression or just when he felt it suited the music? Also I tried looking online for more info on these producers:Eskil L?vstr?m, Pelle Henricsson, they recorded Refused's album The shape of punk to come... and the last 2 poison the well albums. I'm sure you guys might not like those bands, but I definitely like the sound they get. Not sure why theres nothing online about him/them. When I listen to the album versions by poison the well, it almost sounds like he uses ilttle compression, but im not sure. It sounds really good to me, and realistic somehow. I'd like to know what some of you guys think.
I don't think that you can really learn about compression just from listening to records. You need to get in and get your hands dirty.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 am

subatomic pieces wrote: I don't think that you can really learn about compression just from listening to records. You need to get in and get your hands dirty.
yep. and then when you DO go back and listen to albums it's like "ohhhhh, ok. now i know what i've been hearing."

mtlin
audio school

Post by mtlin » Mon May 19, 2008 4:10 pm

generichumanperson wrote:Also, I listened to that beatles song she said she said, and I can hear that compression sound I'm pretty sure. Did george martin use a lot of compression or just when he felt it suited the music?
Most Beatles records are very compressed. But it would generally be Geoff Emerick, the engineer, and not George Martin, the producer, who was making those kinds of decisions.

Check out the drums on Tomorrow Never Knows.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon May 19, 2008 6:50 pm

He used it whenever he felt it was totally inappropriate, just to shake things up. I do that too, yeah, I"m just like Geoooooorge!
Harumph!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon May 19, 2008 11:54 pm

where's magic alex?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 am

generichumanperson wrote:Also, I listened to that beatles song she said she said, and I can hear that compression sound I'm pretty sure. Did george martin use a lot of compression or just when he felt it suited the music?
Are you kidding? The Beatles stuff is compressed up down and sideways. If you can get your hands on the multitracks going around, you will hear this in an instant.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 am

k Holmes wrote:
ALLAN PARSONS - (Dark Side Of The Moon)

...Nuff Said...
I thought I remembered that he used compression on the 2-buss for everything except drums...

If the compression is on the 2 buss (the mix buss) then it affects EVERYTHING going through this buss. Including the drums.

And he did use compression a bit on that record.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 20, 2008 9:14 am

HeavyHand wrote:i remember reading that the average dynamic range for current rock singles is only 6 dB. thats totally out of control. thankfully music exists outside of the "singles" realm.
That is true. I run a radio music service, and we see 200 songs a week submitted to us. All the Rawk has at most 10 dB or dynamic range...even the "ballads"

It's a sad day.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 21, 2008 2:42 pm

????? wrote: I started out recording with that whole "never use compression/EQ" thing, stay true to the source. like an animal rights activist or something. but eating meat kicks ass, and so does using compression. it's silly to never, or always do something, just because.
That doesn't make sense. Ethics and politics and personal choice aren't "just because". Watch it.

I'm not going to tell you that you should lead a vegan lifestyle.. Its my own personal decision and my own philosophical reasons.