What's a natural step up from sm81s?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 pm

(New thread started for this question.)
Last edited by hyde maintenance on Wed May 14, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue May 13, 2008 7:27 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
????? wrote:I don't intend to become a preamp "junkie" to the point where kick, snare, hat and ride have different pres or anything.. but you make a good point.
Hey man, no one ever intends to become a preamp junkie.... it just kind of happens...

Have you ever heard anyone say "I think I'd like to become an alcoholic"? Some people get bit by the bug, and some people don't.

????? wrote:I'm going to save a bit longer and get some km84s..
You might love the km84s... but based on the personal tastes you describe in your regular posts, I get the feeling that something along the lines of akg 460s or, better yet, DPA 4011s might be more to your liking than 451s or km84s. I'd hate to speak for you or make assumptions. I think you need to find out for yourself.

I say it's time to start getting familiar with some new microphones. As you continue to get good at this, you'll want to guess less when making your purchases. Advice on the TOMB can be a good place to start getting ideas, but it can't start and end there. Hear things, and make decisions based on your own personality and tastes. I can't emphasize that enough.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice justin! :D

I've never heard of the 460 or DPA so I will definitely have to find a way to get a hold of those, or find a place to listen to them before I impulsively jump on 84s.

I got to use the km84 on my first "real" session two years ago, and it was the clearest, most honest, awesome mic I ever used(IMO), on everything I put it on. Since that session I've always wanted to get a pair.. but I wanted a more "balanced" collection of equipment, so I never got a pair.

I got to hear the 451s twice as drum overheads on someone else's sessions. when listening to the drums in the room vs control room. I have a feeling they are a tad on the bright side, but they sounded absolutely amazing on grand piano when I heard them.. clear as a bell. Had something the sm81s seem to lack on grand and upright piano. But when I hear the piano in the room, it doesn't sound like in the control room. Maybe that's a good thing here.

Thanks again. :)
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm

I gave in and got the 451s.

I found a new, serial matched pair for $800 from a reputable place, with manufacturer warranty. I can't turn that down for a mic I've heard and liked before.

With 16 channels of seventh circle c84 coming to my "shop" table by the end of the year, it seemed like getting mics opposed to preamps now made more sense. The guy I am working with wants to add km84s to his collection before then. I can't wait. :D

The 4011s are out of my price range at the moment even if I did like them. I hope for this to change later. I don't want to get stuff on credit.

Thanks again.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri May 16, 2008 9:47 pm

????? wrote: I got to hear the 451s...

...clear as a bell.
Yep. That's what they do.

Definitely a different flavor than the sm81s.

Enjoy!