access violation in protools - is sp3 to blame?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

access violation in protools - is sp3 to blame?

Post by pixeltarian » Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm trying to open a session I worked on and am getting the error message "access violation occurred"

the only change I can think of is the installation of windows XP service pack 3.

is there a fix for this? what could be causing this access violation. more importantly - why is pro tools the most persnickety DAW on the planet?!!?!

pro tools 7.4
2 GB ram
Athlon 64 X2 4600
Last edited by pixeltarian on Sat May 17, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 pm

i kind of need to access my sessions...

won't someone help me?
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sat May 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Can you open PT at all? Have you tried creating a new session and importing data from the one you can't open?

That's about all I can think of right now.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat May 17, 2008 8:09 pm

Never seen that error message before.

Also, I'm not a PC guy but I have seen all sorts of warnings on the internet about sp3 being problematic across the board. (Edit: Digi seems to consider it okay)

You may have to take the session to another PT-equipped studio and see if they can open it.

I also suggest the Digidesign User Conference as a resource.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sat May 17, 2008 9:32 pm

What does SP 3 give you that isn't in SP 2?

Just curious.

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Sat May 17, 2008 11:00 pm

does it look like this?

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Sat May 17, 2008 11:10 pm

In the case of that particular session, I could never open it again.
I had to go from the session file backups.

what caused it?
either
A) Plugins that were not compatible with PT 7.4
B) Hard drive error
C) both A and B

Course of action for you:
get the Tech Support Utility and trash the preferences.
Get the plug in updaters and run them.
run error checking on all your drives.
see if the session opens now.
if not, then you'll have to go from one of your backups. You do have backups right!? Right!?
The good news is, doing those steps above, whether it fixed the corrupted session or not, PT should be way more stable.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun May 18, 2008 8:41 pm

I doubt its SP3. As its really just a roll up of all the updates that had come out since SP2. If you had XP SP2 and have been updating on a fairly consistent basis you already have 99% of SP3.
But just for kicks, why not roll back to SP2 from SP3?
just go into your add/remove programs control panel, check the box at top for "show updates" and uninstall it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: access violation in protools - is sp3 to blame?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 19, 2008 7:01 am

pixeltarian wrote:I'm trying to open a session I worked on and am getting the error message "access violation occurred"

the only change I can think of is the installation of windows XP service pack 3.

is there a fix for this? what could be causing this access violation. more importantly - why is pro tools the most persnickety DAW on the planet?!!?!

pro tools 7.4
2 GB ram
Athlon 64 X2 4600
Because you ar trying to use it on a PC.

I've been running PT since 1996 on Macs. Not much trouble at all over here in Mac-land.

One rule of thumb for PT machines either Mac or PC : DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR OS WILLY-NILLY!!!!

But, now that you see the results.. I guess I am too late to warn you not to do this. Especially if you need access (non-violated) to any sessions.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

papist dupe

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon May 19, 2008 8:42 am

funny, people I know who run PT on Macs have about as many problems as I do running Sonar on a PC.
You would do well to check outhttp://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 832#474832, lest you think macs are completely infallible.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: papist dupe

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:funny, people I know who run PT on Macs have about as many problems as I do running Sonar on a PC.
You would do well to check outhttp://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 832#474832, lest you think macs are completely infallible.
Hi,

Computers are machines... and Macs are not infallible.

I have set up many of these PT HD and Le on Macs, and the few I've seen on PC platforms....they crash so much more. I recommend people not run Pt on a PC.

One thing about Macs, once you get one set up and running properly, as long as you don't mess with it, it can run a very long time without issues.

But, in this forum, probably everyone is running PT along with other apps at the same time (you know, posting with Safari, checking mail, etc...)

Running other applications whilst using a DAW, of any flavor, is a good way to increase problems.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Mon May 19, 2008 9:46 am

you could try deleting all of the folders that say Digidesign Databases. They Should be on every drive hooked up to your DAW in the root folder. Then a good old fashioned restart and try to open Pro Tools again. This has worked for me before.

If not, can try making a temporary folder on your desktop and moving all your plugins to it. then try opening the session. If it works, then start adding them back one at a time closing and opening the program each time until you get the error again. Maybe a little time consuming (especially since PT takes EONS to start up) but it'll tell you if it's a plug-in or not.

Hope that helps.
-Charlie

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon May 19, 2008 11:01 am

Access Violations are usually a symptom of some sort of hard drive related problem, but not necessarily a failure.

I've recieved them when running PT and recording to the system drive. If you don't have 2 hard drives going, that may be the problem. I've also recieved that error when I have an external drive hooked via USB or Firewire to my computer, not daisy chained off the Digi like I'm supposed to.

Protools will throw a preferences folder on every drive that is attached to your machine and I think that while working in a session it's trying to update the files in that folder. Somethimes things get screwed up with that and you end up with an Access Violation.

If you can, add a second hard drive that you record to, keep PT on your system drive. If you're laptop only, then daisy chain an external drive to your Digi.

Hope this helps.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 am

How's it working out for you? Still getting the Access Violation?

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 am

stinkpot wrote:How's it working out for you? Still getting the Access Violation?
actually for some reason I waited a while and tried it again then PT just crashed, then it told me I needed to restart my computer before I run pt again, but I didn't. I just tried to start protools again like 4 hours later and it started up fine and opened the file. weird... no access violation. I still think pro tools is very temperamental though.

I use traction when I can - I don't love the midi options, but it's pretty decent and speedy for mixing, and it auto saves without overwriting the user's last save.

thanks for all the help everyone, I'll surely reference this if I get the same error again and
- Napoleon Hill

spook folk

electro atmospheric rock