How is the sennheiser 421?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:27 am

I recently bought one and didn't like it at first but once I got to really experiment with it I found out just how good it really is. Ihave a question though, I always thought it was a side address mic, is it? It sounds waaaay better pointed directly at an amp or tom. I can't see through the grill to get a look at the capsule?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 am

T-rex wrote:I recently bought one and didn't like it at first but once I got to really experiment with it I found out just how good it really is. Ihave a question though, I always thought it was a side address mic, is it? It sounds waaaay better pointed directly at an amp or tom. I can't see through the grill to get a look at the capsule?
it is NOT a side address mic...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:15 am

Right now, I'll take just about any dynamic over any condenser mic.

*Partly due to budget- I think you get better bang for buck with dynamics, with a decent preamp.
*Partly due to minimizing space acoustics
*Partly because of the character (mostly I'm not liking fast and sparkly lately)

BTW: I loved how it (421) sounded at my college radio station back in the day.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks. What wierded me out was the attack was much more pronounced when used like a side address. I guessing this is less proximity and more off axis response at higher frequencies - but that is just a guess from micing up a few toms and cabiniets.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:16 pm

T-rex wrote:Thanks. What wierded me out was the attack was much more pronounced when used like a side address. I guessing this is less proximity and more off axis response at higher frequencies - but that is just a guess from micing up a few toms and cabiniets.
Probably isn't a hard mistake to make. The way the windscreen is setup on the 421 looks like a side address mic. And side address would make it so much easier to get it in front of the toms and snare.
Prog out with your cog out.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:32 pm

The 421 is a great mic. The best part of the 604's is that they are not a 421 when a drummer whacks one with a stick. I've got 2 421's with dented windscreens because of this, and 3 604 without dented windscreens. Does that mean teh 604's never get whacked, not by a long shot.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:07 pm

superaction80 wrote:
T-rex wrote:Thanks. What wierded me out was the attack was much more pronounced when used like a side address. I guessing this is less proximity and more off axis response at higher frequencies - but that is just a guess from micing up a few toms and cabiniets.
Probably isn't a hard mistake to make. The way the windscreen is setup on the 421 looks like a side address mic. And side address would make it so much easier to get it in front of the toms and snare.
Thanks at least I don't feel like a total dumbass!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 pm

rwc wrote:people who can't afford to buy right the first time, always appear to be able to afford buying wrong over and over again.
*applauds*

a little patience can go a long way in this field. I only wish that I had learned that a lot sooner. ;)

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:13 am

This thread is making me sit up and notice how long it's been since I used my 421. It's been ages, even though I know it's a great microphone. I think about 80% of the reason is the damn clip! Like everyone on earth, mine is all messed up. Maybe I'll just break down and blow the $30 and start throwing it up on some things. For a while I was recording a lot of hand drums and it got used frequently as a second mic, like the back of a darabuka, or the beater side of a tupan.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:29 pm

421 is on of the greatest things ever!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:52 pm

drumsound wrote:421 is on of the greatest things ever!
Agreed.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Usually when people DON'T like the 421, it's because they don't know about the movable ring thang down at the xlr end -- it controls how much hi-pass filtering if any, is going on.

For the full fat sound, set that puppy to "M" (for musica!)
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:38 am

leftofthedial wrote:The 421 is a great mic. The best part of the 604's is that they are not a 421 when a drummer whacks one with a stick. I've got 2 421's with dented windscreens because of this, and 3 604 without dented windscreens. Does that mean teh 604's never get whacked, not by a long shot.
a) remove grille

b) bang out with hammer

c) paint grille with sharpie

feel free to touch up any other part of the mic with said sharpie while you're at it.

brand new 421! :D

if only you knew what big studios did this...
Last edited by rwc on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 am

drumsound wrote:421 is on of the greatest things ever!
and the 57

:lol:
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:14 am

rwc wrote:
leftofthedial wrote:The 421 is a great mic. The best part of the 604's is that they are not a 421 when a drummer whacks one with a stick. I've got 2 421's with dented windscreens because of this, and 3 604 without dented windscreens. Does that mean teh 604's never get whacked, not by a long shot.
a) remove grille

b) bang out with hammer

c) paint grille with sharpie

feel free to touch up any other part of the mic with said sharpie while you're at it.

brand new 421! :D

if only you knew what big studios did this...
I was just going to ask about this, since mine looks beat to hell. Which is fine but I wouldn't mind cleaning it up a bit.

How do you remove the grill? does it just pop out or is there something else involved?