Bass Drum - Extra Resonant Bass Drums...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Bass Drum - Extra Resonant Bass Drums...

Post by the finger genius » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:44 am

Was lurking around on the Tarbox Road site, and found a link to this pic.

Anybody tried this before? Hmmm....
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:51 am

woah...um. Big.

A little overboard maybe? I've used a 24" marching drum in front of a kick with great results in the bast. Anything big and boomy that I can tune down to nothing seems to work well. It always sounds better in the room than it does in the mix though... If I was recording a band like Federation X or other no bass band than it could be a real feature of the drum sound.

I get better and more useful results with a DIY subkick on the reasonant head. Mine is a standard 6" woofer used in car stereos, it sounds huge in my room and of course, great in the car.
Everything louder than everything else.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 am

I've used a single 22" with a single head in front of a 20" before. Sorta like a shell extension. You can put a mic inside the second drum, and one outside. Never tried three. That's just crazy business... (winky face)

We had a 28" Leedy concert bass drum for a while. That thing was a fun resonant space next to a regular kick drum.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:09 am

I've done one really resonant BD (a shallow Leedy and Ludwig) in front of a 'rock BD' with good results. Never 2 resonant drums.

Fridman always has a method to his madness though...

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:01 am

i have a cardboard tube about 16" wide and 4ft long for that. Stick my speaker or blue mouse at the end of it and bobs ur uncle! but i dont use it often. i'd like to hear that though!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:41 pm

to me that is more of an "engineer prformance" thing than actually usefull..

look how crazy I am!! I'm using 3 bass drums!! I'm crazy smart & creative!!

one good bass drum tuned right should be able to have the same result as what's going on in that picture..

James B
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by James B » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 pm

i have a friend who swears by doing that, but he's the kind of guy who thinks that using 16 mics on a drum kit is the only way to do it "professionally", so that leads me to think it's a waste of time.

though maybe it is actually good, i've written it off a bit hastily...

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Beauty&Wonder wrote:to me that is more of an "engineer prformance" thing than actually usefull..
I think Fridmann has made some great records and gotten some amazing sounds by trying shit that seems crazy, wrong, or unnecessary. And bands pay a lot of money to record with him because of it. Finally, he's probably the least pretentious dude I've ever met. So while I'm not saying that you can't get a fine kick drum sound with one well tuned drum, I do think there's a lot of value in trying shit like this, without automatically dismissing it. (Especially when a major label is paying you to do so...)
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:09 pm

It's really not that crazy..Walter Anderson who tied himself to a tree on an island in the path of a hurricane to finish his paintings is crazy..you get the sound of a less loud larger resonant head on a track..big whoop..why not just nix the middle drum? Same result..see this is why I think it's more for show than for function..I'm all for experimentation but to my eye..here in that pic I can see it might be more flash than function..and flash in itself *is* a valuable tool in making an artist feel good and special and a very important part of the magic of a working engineer/producer..so in that sense as well as getting great sounds he is really superb at his job..

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Post by k Holmes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm wondering why he doesn't have more floor toms...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:38 am

Probably 50% of the time I record drums, I use a 24" shallow drum with full coated ambassador heads in front of the normal kick drum to add some depth. You can get a dry punchy sound from the first kick and a huge resonating boom from the outside one. Works great for me.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:15 pm

I recorded a drummer once whose kick was 3 shells bolted together, and no outer head. Sounded great. He was a great drummer with an awesome feel, and he was loud as hell. Somewhere around here I have a DAT of his drum tracks, if I can find it I can post it.