Sub bass hits

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:54 pm

I think I know what you're talking about. The so low it's indecipherable death metal grunts? My brother sang in a band like that, in the lowest pitch possible without moving your mouth grunt "breebreebreebreebree" and you'll get it.

I keep hearing "pig squeals" in reference to metal vocals now too. Inhaled screams I guess. Teenage metalheads are operating on a completely different lingo these days from what I'm used to.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:33 am

i kind of want o volunteer to record a local metal/hardcore band for free just to do things totally different than what has become the standard.

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 pm

The bass drop technique may have been borrowed from hip hop, but I always thought it was trying to emulate and expand the bass guitarist throwing out an obnoxious slide down to heighten the drama, hence the falling pitch. At least, that's what all those moshcore bands I used to see in VFWs, Knights of Columbus halls, and basements did.

It sucks when the bass drop is up too hot and you have to remember to turn down that track or loose your car's subwoofer. This also happens on overwrought noise segues/intros, consisting of ominous rumbling and distorted voice samples.

Blood Brothers have used it very effectively, but I'm pretty sure one of their members programs and triggers the sample. So it was part of the songwriting and not recording process.

A few albums with overblown bass drops:
Dillinger Escape Plan "Calculating Infinity" (otherwise brilliantly produced)
These Arms Are Snakes "This is Meant to Hurt You"
Shai Hulud "Misanthropy Pure"

Mind you, I love those bands.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:51 pm

Yes breing (might be misspelled) is where they breath in and make that really low noise. Most of the time they aren't even trying to say anything, just bre bre bre... with the rhythm of the brake down. Pig squeals are exactly what you think. Pigs squealing. There are also pterodactyl screams which are super high pitched, you guessed it that sound like what a pterodactyl might sound like. This is all newer metal, the kind that people wearing basketball pants crazy nice nikes, and American apparel V neck shirts make.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:37 am

UGH! That is NOT TRUE Metal! Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

Gawd I feel old now.
Blah!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:47 am

blackdiscoball wrote:Yes breing (might be misspelled) is where they breath in and make that really low noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKx6EuMZWM
Prog out with your cog out.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:06 am

Corey Y wrote: I keep hearing "pig squeals" in reference to metal vocals now too. Inhaled screams I guess. Teenage metalheads are operating on a completely different lingo these days from what I'm used to.
I just refer to this as "the thing that Roger Waters does in Careful With That Axe Eugene." The ones he does in the Pompeii version are pretty awesome.

supertzar
ass engineer

Post by supertzar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:19 am

I get amazing 808-type bass from the Octave CAT analog synth. I suppose any analog synth with a self-oscillating filter and an ADSR could do it.

Take the oscillators completely out and turn the resonance up all the way on the VCF. This makes a sine wave that can be tuned with the filter frequency. Modulate the VCA with the ADSR set to immediate attack, fairly fast decay, about 50% sustain and about 50% release. Play with the settings to get it just how you want. You can get a falling pitch by modulating the VCF with an AR if there is one available like on the CAT.

The Electro-Harmonix Space Drum makes wicked bass hits, too. :twisted:

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 pm

UGH! That is NOT TRUE Metal! Wimps and posers, leave the hall!

Gawd I feel old now.
Yeay doesn't seem very "Metal" to me but what do I know, I just throw a mic in front of them.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/