Need serious help with MAJOR acoustic gtr repair......Info?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Need serious help with MAJOR acoustic gtr repair......Info?

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:33 pm

My beloved '67 Gibson Hummingbird got STOMPED on and severely damaged. The top is ruined and a piece of the side on the upper bout. I got an estimate for $4300.00, more than a grand more than the value. I need info or links on how to safely break the glue joints. I need to remove the top binding safely, then the top, then the bridge, without steaming the rest of the guitar into a useless mess. I can get a laquered and X braced top from Gibson, but i dont know how to safely remove the above parts. Of course I want to reuse the vintage binding and bridge, so heat guns and razor blades seem out of the question. If anyone knows of any techniques, websites, or books addressing this I would really be grateful!!
Thanks.

P.S. If I knew how to post pix in here you'd be seeing a heartbreaking mess!![/img]
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 pm

i hate to say it, but unless you REALLY know what you are doing, don't even try. Get it done right or buy a new (old) one. It won't sound anything like it did before, so, keep that in mind...

I am sorry to hear that though!!!
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for the sympathy! What kind of professional musician smashes another one's instrument???
I've been building furniture and cabinets, (and LOTS of speaker cabs!) and doing my own repairs since I was knee high to a short frog, andno matter how it turns out I just can't throw away this guitar!! I've got some skills and I really have to at lest try, you know?
Thanks Bro.
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:01 pm

frets.com - descriptions and picture of major repairs and minor ones too. A must see resource for guitar repairs and general info. Look for "Items for Luthiers" and repair techniques.

It is run by the co-owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto , CA. They are very sought after repair shop, as well as selling many amazing vintage and new instruments. Maybe even world-renown experts in repairing Martins. Seal sent his guitars there! Really that was a joke but he did, as well as Joan Baez being friend and customer. I know Neil Young's guitar guy has also been spotted shopping for Neil's wife. He passed on a Collings that he was disappointed was sold when he returned. Anyways a trusted source of info, sometimes if it's slow you might even be able to call them up for some advice from any of the guys there, they all know their stuff. I watched one of the guys, Brian, install a tuner on Tuck Andress' guitar, actually on his guitar under the pickguard so he can just look down and tune, while playing I guess?!

thompsongs
ass engineer

Post by thompsongs » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:10 pm

just want to second frets.com

it's proven to be an invaluable resource.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 pm

i think these guys would repair it for you and at a decent price:

http://www.abitaguitar.com/Reviews.htm

they are true luthiers...and fair as well.

best of luck-

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Yeah, DON?T replace the top. Just try to get the thing repaired for cheaper somewhere else. That price they gave you seems rediculous.

As well, there are a lot of instances where joe shmo instrument shop repairman will tell you no way, can?t be done, but it?s just cause they don?t want to or don?t know how. Is the top just in splinters? Get multiple opinions. You may have to take pics, email them, and ship it out, but do whatever you can to keep the original top. It?s the most important part to te sound of any guitar.

I would take a repaired top hummingbird of that vintage before a new top anytime. Some people can work miracles, but don?t try to do it yourself. You wouldn?t ever break the glue joints either, you would heat them up untel the part comes off, but don?t do this yourself.

The name of the guy that deals with my gibson is Ukalele Dick. http://www.purrgirl.com/Ukuleledick.html

He can repair some pretty bad damage and has been pretty reasonable. Maybe worth a call. He?s a nice guy, though it would require shipping.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Since you're not too far, you should drive down to Brooklyn and have Bob Jones look at it.

Bob Jones Guitar Repair
718 965-6786
540 9th St.
Brooklyn NY 11215

Good luck.