Arsenal Audio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

Arsenal Audio

Post by pk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Just picked up the new Sound on Sound issue and read a little blurb about these. I'd never heard of Arsenal products before and now am intrigued. Admittedly, they look pretty cool (some will argue about the military aesthetic), and since I'm in the market for a few new pres (Germanium is top on my list followed by a debatable Vintech 273), and now this R20 dual-pre just made the list.

Anyone have one of the pres yet? I read the topic about someone having the EQ units and liking them a lot, although he quotes "they are not going to bring any real MOJO to the table, but for more surgical work, they do hit the spot.", which leaves me wondering, will the dual channel preamp, costing a mere $1000, bring me a little mojo, an ounce or two of it (?), cuz really, I could just keep using my Ensemble's pres if all I wanted was just to amplify a microphone.

Thanks for any thoughts on these...

http://arsenalaudio.com/

http://mercenary.com/arsenal.html

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:49 pm

UTFSF.:lol:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=56882

It was on the same page a couple of threads down.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 pm

cgarges wrote:UTFSF.:lol:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I did UTSF :?

Not only did I use a quote from it, but he's talking about the V14 EQ, while I'm wondering about the preamp. Gnome sayin? :lol:

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 pm

cgarges wrote:UTFSF.:lol:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

yes yes... but what about the PRE!? someone talk about the preamp. preferably someone who has used it.
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Gotcha.

These things have only been out a couple of weeks. I'm only remotely curious about them. I think they're supposed to be kind of based on the APSI designs. I've heard various stuff about those EQs, but not much about the preamps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:57 pm

No worries mate,

Indeed, I'm trying to remain hopeful while not expecting to be blown away when reviews do start pouring in.
One thing that irks me is there there are no output knobs on this preamp, but oh well. I hope to get a little mo, or a little jo out of it, both would be great, but 2 channels at $1k leaves me wondering...

Just as a sidenote, something about this reminds me of that dual channel GT Supre, which took forever to hit the shelves and I feel like since it did, no one has chimed in on it. When it was announced everyone went ga-ga over it's looks (great front controls, big hefty knobs, nice retro style VU meters), and it's moderate price of $1400. In fact, I'll UTSF for the Supre as soon as I hit Submit on this one! :lol:

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 pm

reading the most recent TapeOp, full page ad on these guys, man if they sound half as sweet as they look, geez! So curious, I realize they may be to new to the market for any user reviews, let's see...

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 pm

isn't it just API's new line with different looks?

Patrick, i've flaked on calling you back. busy all weekend with Joel and Marc in the Bunker, but lets hang soon! also, you never borrowed that U5 from me...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:55 pm

as far as the supre is concerned, I am still planning on getting one myself. For the price its awesme that its an actual all tube signal path, not one of these damned opamp mic pres with no transformer using a tube only in the output stage. From what I understand the Supre is supposed to be a stripped down version of its big brother. I've tried them both and actually like the supre better.
About the aresenal stuff, I have to wonder about the absence of photos of its internals. One review I have read mentioned that the pre looked like it could have easily fit in a 1RU case.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

ykswokalok
audio school

Post by ykswokalok » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:39 pm

picked up the supre a couple of months ago (had to wait almost 4 months for it to be built) been using it alot on guitar, piano and vox....stacks up real favorably with tele/siemens V76 and v72s

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 am

im also reallly interested in this pre but no info is coming out! Sound on Sound or TapeOp PLEASE DO A REVIEW! They look awesome, sturdy and at the end of the day its API!

But I agree, if it does nothing but add volume to your mic its pretty worthless (to me) as i got an ISA428 and a Audient console at my disposal!

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 am

how is the audient? I have been looking at their outboard stuff a little bit. Nice pedigree. Strange configuration on the 2 channel pre (one in front, one in back?)

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 am

We have a 1073, red1, drawmer 1960 and the 8024.

I must say, the pres are 'nice' but seem rather clean (which is ok i suppose i like charatcer though!) still BUT the EQ is where it's at! Very subtle and super transparent exactly what I want from an EQ.

I will always make sure I wang stuff into the RED 1 or 1073 during dubs for the tonality (and they seem more 3D?) but I must admit the desk certainly keeps up I've not a/b'd it to one of them ASP 008's but I would expect it to be very similar!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 am

sorry if this it OT but it was mentioned earlier here...

i am hunting for a tube pre - any more thoughts on the SUPRE? i am amazed to read it stacks up well beside the v72 etc...
the new rules : there are no rules

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:25 pm

I've only got to try it out once or twice, but it had a lot of detail. The two main drawbacks I can find are that its too freaking huge to fit in my rack, and it has so many knobs/switches its kinda bewildering to those of us that are used to a mic pre with one knob and maybe 2 switches.
I spent way too much time flicking this and that switch back and forth.
I'm totally getting one, and some shinybox ribbbons, and , and , and