How will economic changes affect the music scene?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

How will economic changes affect the music scene?

Post by percussion boy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am

Since civilization is still standing, it looks like what we're gonna get in the industrialized countries is much more difficulty borrowing money -- both individuals and businesses.

I wonder how this will affect musicmakers, studios, and makers of music gear. People always want music, but things are probably gonna be leaner.

How do you all think this will play out?

***Disclaimer: This is NOT intended to be an off-topic "who's wrong" political discussion, please don't make it one.***

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 am

Even the retards at the helm lending money recently wouldn't lend me a dime.

Actually it might be kinda good for me... I do location recording and I build little bits of music electronics for people on the cheap. I might be in higher demand since the guys who actually know what they're doing charge real money.

On the other hand, musicians tend to have a low income so rising cost of living expenses hit HARD. If my grocery bill goes from $150 to $225 that's a huge chink of my measly income. However, if you make 70,000 or more that's less hurt.

One more than I'm done: I've seen a quick drop in attendance at live music/theatre in the last 10 weeks... might be the season or I might just be into stuff that sucks.
Everything louder than everything else.

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:39 am

My main concern is that it may see the end - or at least a hiatus - of tape manufacturing again, since it's kind of a niche market.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks folks . . . this is exactly the kind of discussion I hoped we'd have.
My main concern is that it may see the end - or at least a hiatus - of tape manufacturing again, since it's kind of a niche market.
Maybe the little tape companies will stand, if they can get by without easy borrowing. But yeah, specialty field with fancy manufacturing using petroleum products is not ideal.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 am

look right now at how many people are touring as solo acts or duos! one sedan.... some friends of mine toured on bikes this summer.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 am

It's hard to say. I think it may be a positive to a lot of people like me who have modest set ups in less than ideal locations (their house) and can make records for much less than going into a more expensive studio.

However the touring thing really hits hard. I think we are getting reviewed by the Big Takeover and as a result was going to go to New York and play a few shows around there, do a mini tour thing. But the cost of fuel coupled with the fact that my main job may be ending makes it tough to take a gamble on making enough money to justify the trip.

Touring on bikes? I knew I should have been a harmonica player and not a drummer. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:51 am

More Led Zeppelin box sets? Joblessness also might lead to larger hordes at bars after midnight, which could benefit local bands. Bar owners prosper during recessions, right?

Finally, four more words: cheap gear on craigslist

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:11 am

Tatertot wrote:Finally, four more words: cheap gear on craigslist
Maybe where you are. Around here? They'll offer you $5 for your nice gear, but couldn't take less than 150% of going retail for the Guitar Center special they've been vomiting on for the past 6 months.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:34 am

Smitty wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Finally, four more words: cheap gear on craigslist
Maybe where you are. Around here? They'll offer you $5 for your nice gear, but couldn't take less than 150% of going retail for the Guitar Center special they've been vomiting on for the past 6 months.
You're right, CL is not always a good place to sell stuff, at least not if you are in a hurry. I have seen a lot of good stuff for sale cheap though. Of course one needs to be both patient and choosy.

I will say that I have had this experience several times: I post something for a sort of fair/almost high price (like, 90th %ile of the recent going price on ebay) and then nothing will happen for weeks and I will almost forget I posted it. Two months later I'll get one message from exactly one buyer who is willing to pay my listed price (or 90% of it) and shows up on time with real cash. It's sort of like running a store, I guess. As a consequence of this, I keep a lot of my stuff listed there at any given time (at near-retail used prices) in case there is somebody out there who absolutely MUST have some item of mine someday.

It's also liberating when I have 'studio suck syndrome' to be able to scold a piece of gear by reminding it that it is currently for sale, is on thin ice, etc. and reminding it that if it continues to bug me it might find itself as a component in a roughly-handled DJ rig or somethine similarly odious.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:25 am

It's also liberating when I have 'studio suck syndrome' to be able to scold a piece of gear by reminding it that it is currently for sale, is on thin ice, etc. and reminding it that if it continues to bug me it might find itself as a component in a roughly-handled DJ rig or something similarly odious.
Yeah, I always show my gear the stacks of catalogs I have and remind them that they can be replaced at any time with something better.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:28 am

The hardest economic times make the greatest art. While the BUSINESS of music may wane, the ART of music has and will continue to flourish. In my little village of Asheville I have seen the music scene turn from mostly a bunch of crap when I moved here in 2000 to a really thriving scene with all kinds of amazing genre smashing bands of all types. None of them make any money, but that only seems to make them better. Struggle is the heart of creativity and the more musicians struggle the more depth they seem to bring out in their creations. Maybe it simply boils down to less work+more bored=more time to practice and write. Frankly I look at these bad economic times coupled with the net as just a sea change in how we look at and experience music. The result will be big corporate labels walking away from it entirely and leaving the real music to people who have smaller and more focused operations. Ultimately this will be a good thing for bands that are actually good and a very bad thing for pop artists reliant on being shoved down people's throats.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:07 pm

i read an article a long time ago that demonstrated that during periods of economic boom we end up with crappy, marketing based pop music and that recession leads to the truly revolutionary music. Part of this stems from a dissatisfied populace writing protest songs and (a big) part of this has to do with who is buying music. in economic booms, parents tend to give their young children more money so tweens become the predominant music buyers and you get NSync and Britney (Clinton boom years). when times are rough, you get Nirvana (Bush I's recession).
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:12 pm

signorMars wrote:i read an article a long time ago that demonstrated that during periods of economic boom we end up with crappy, marketing based pop music and that recession leads to the truly revolutionary music. Part of this stems from a dissatisfied populace writing protest songs and (a big) part of this has to do with who is buying music. in economic booms, parents tend to give their young children more money so tweens become the predominant music buyers and you get NSync and Britney (Clinton boom years). when times are rough, you get Nirvana (Bush I's recession).
Also, let us presume that when the majors are flush with cash they can afford to spend millions "developing" the "careers" of "artists" like Britney, whereas in tighter economic times they are more interested in signing and promoting artists who have already developed themselves and need only a little push to make a huge record (eg Nirvana)

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Tatertot wrote:Also, let us presume that when the majors are flush with cash they can afford to spend millions "developing" the "careers" of "artists" like Britney, whereas in tighter economic times they are more interested in signing and promoting artists who have already developed themselves and need only a little push to make a huge record (eg Nirvana)
I don't know if I'm ready to presume that, but I'll sure as heck hope that's what happens!

I'm expecting the changes we are already experiencing on the business side may become more accellerated and eccentric. I say it's high time things get shaken up, and I'm really looking foward to the next ten years. I just hope I can keep putting food on my family. ;)

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 am

well here in the UK sales have been dropping all the time. I've been in retail for 4 years and the first was nice, then every year it got worse with reps saying "it's been a hard year but it will get better soon". never has!

at the minute were at an all time low, and it doesnt look as if we can carry on!

So if you want some Seymours or EMG's come my way! lol