Sansamp Bass Driver DI vs. Sansamp Character Series VT-Bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sparky
pushin' record

Sansamp Bass Driver DI vs. Sansamp Character Series VT-Bass

Post by sparky » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Hey y'all. I need a ampulator for bass guitars.

I was going to go with the Sansamp Bass Driver DI, but then I heard a couple youtube demos of the Character VT-Bass and they were pretty cool. I'd previously written off the Character serious basically 'cause of the naff graphics. Only has a hi-Z output but that's not a deal breaker for me. I think. I can't decide honestly.

Its tough to evaluate these gadgets in the store because what I really care about is their DI performance, and I'm sure it will take a lot of time to figure out what settings work for what, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:55 pm

I can't help you out on the Character, but I've got the sans amp bass driver and the sans amp classic, and I probably use the classic more often for bass. It also doesn't have an XLR, but the tone just feels more natural to me.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm

The sans amp bass di was a turning point, for me anyway, for tracking bass. I am extremely impressed with it and know quite of few other who are as well.

As far as the character series, I'm blown away with the 'liverpool' model and I own an AC30 - it is hands down the best dirt box I've ever owned. I usually don't like dirt boxes, but I love this and it is so much more than a dirt box.

Can't say that my enthusiasm would translate to the bass character pedal, but I would bet that it would be awesome.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:57 pm

The SansAmp RBI is supposed to be very cool, not necessarily the most versatile, but apparently what it does, it does well. I don't have one but I want one and it's on my list of purchases. I've heard recordings where they were used that I liked the bass sound alot, but obviously that's not an objective way to tell.

Anybody else used one?
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:35 pm

bass driver di = ampeg svt + 810 in a box!

my 4pro + 810 struggles sometimes to keep up ;)