Reslo Ribbons

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Reslo Ribbons

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:30 am

I've been looking into these of recent, I've heard the 'round' one is better than the 'shaver' generally, but it would just be for drum ambience maybe guitar.

anyone shed some light onto which would be best?

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:49 am

We had a pair of the "shaver" types a few years ago. They were NOS and in excellent condition, but I could never find a use for them. Sounded dull and lifeless to me. Pretty wimpy little things designed for PA use. I think they've taken on a bit of mojo by association because they were seen in photos of the Beatles playing the Cavern Club.

Unless you are in a position to obtain one for very little money, I think you could find something better.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10 pm

got me a round one. It's a 50 Ohm version, so it has a Sowter step up traffo in a little satellite box to interface well with modern preamps.

They're old ribbon mics and pretty much sound like it. O.K. on loud guitar amps sometimes. That's about it, that I've found. There's better to be had in the "old ribbon mic" catagory if that's what you're searching for.

I like the Shure 300 series better, and I paid about the same for each of my Shures that I did for the Reslo...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:36 pm

djimbe wrote: I like the Shure 300 series better, and I paid about the same for each of my Shures that I did for the Reslo...
I have a shaver type that I really like on snares, bass amps, guitar amps. I reribboned it myself with signwriter's aluminum, FWIW.

It's funny...I had a Shure 315 that I sold because my experience was exactly opposite from djimbe's. I suspect that each of these guys is going to be quite varied in response due to age and condition.

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:37 pm

hmm has anyone tested the 'round' vs the 'shaver', hows the different character?

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:27 am

think ima put it off, Royer here I come.

the new mercenary edition Cowley and Tripp looks awesome!

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:01 am

the new mercenary edition Cowley and Tripp looks awesome!
Those are pretty sweet! Nothing wrong with a ribbon you can't break even if you wanted to!
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:03 am

newfuturevintage wrote: It's funny...I had a Shure 315 that I sold because my experience was exactly opposite from djimbe's. I suspect that each of these guys is going to be quite varied in response due to age and condition.
Yes. And the 315 is a bit of an odd bird (I have 2 of those). It has a frequency response that resembles a high pass filter around 150Hz or so and a touch of presence boost. They're not as beefy sounding as other ribbons. The 300 is more flat on the response and has better proximity effect. I love that one on alto-ish female vocals...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??