pitch correction on lap steel?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:55 pm

kayagum wrote:You can always get an extra take or two, and see if any of them top the original.

It never ceases to amaze me how often the verdict is clarified when you have something tangible to compare the original track to, instead of making the judgement strictly in your head.

I've had it work both ways (sometimes I keep, sometimes I change it out for the newer take, sometimes I just toss the whole part).
I actually have 15 takes (Logic make it easy to keep them) and have done as you suggested. This is the one....
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

SpencerBenjamin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerBenjamin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:09 pm

A couple of times, for the occasional out-of-tune vocal note, I add a good dose of distortion just for that note - fade it in & out. Have a listen to Jeff Buckley's Grace, the producer uses it a few times on that album. Sometimes works. It can make a feature out of a fault.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 am

I just deleted a huge rant I will save for another time but it comes down to.
This is NOT the Matrix, technology is NOT the enemy, if it makes it sound better and tight the music use it, if it doesnt, dont. Its been said on here many times before. Im sure you already know that but its worth repeating. We aren't talking about polishing a turd here, just making something fit better, if thats all, its no different then eq, remember when people were afraid to use that.... (or Frequency Correction device?)
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:54 am

blackdiscoball wrote:This is NOT the Matrix, technology is NOT the enemy, if it makes it sound better and tight the music use it, if it doesnt, dont.

+1
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am

While mixing a tune last week that has heavy trippy pedal steel I kept getting slapped in the face with 2 notes that didn't quite make the bend.

I Autotuned them. Just those two. Told the player who thought it was way cool that I could do it. The songwriter was happy, and I remained sane throughout the rest of the mix.

I've let a bunch of "almost there notes" go as well on other tunes, because as someone said earlier, "perfection is boring."

Just depends on the song, and if it will bug you and or the artist forever.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:23 am

Well, I didn't end up using pitch corex on the steel part in quesiotn. Instead I used the Logic comping tool to create a Frankenstein steel part. If you're interested, you can here the tune here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=34876085

It's the first tune in the player.

Warning: there's some pretty intense excitement about the end of the Bush presidency in the tune.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Good job.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm

End of bush = me too.

Pitch correction is the same as comping, I dont give a shit when things were invented.
I like making things sound great, and the decision about what "great " means is why even with all these methods to "cheat" we still have a lot of different types of music and people still think one thing is "good" and another thing "sucks."

A persons decisions and actions in the studio are what make the record. The record is what will define them in the public eye, which is just the end result of all those decisions.

Is it good? Then it is, um... good. :)