Humidity! (damn clothes dryer)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hydroplane
audio school

Humidity! (damn clothes dryer)

Post by Hydroplane » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi,
i've recently set my studio in my new place. It's in a one car garage. the washer and dryer are in there too and whenever we use the dryer it gets so humid. All my gear gets wet like a mirror in a bathroom when you shower. I've got my g4 powermac, m-audio interface, synth, amps, speakers, condenser mics, mixer, drums, all of that stuff in there.
How bad is this???
i'm looking into getting a dehumidifier... probably 65pint that works in low temp for the comming season. seen some for about 150 which is right in my price range.
will this work? is that too much humidity at once for a dehumidifier?
anyone have any experience with this situation?
thanks for reading!
Renzo

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Is the exhaust from the dryer going outside? if it is, then I'd first look into sealing it up well. If it's not, well... then I'd consider trying to vent it to the outside. I don't know what the longterm effects of that much rapid changing back and forth in temperature and humidity will do to your stuff, but I don't imagine it's all that good.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 pm

aye, vent that dryer outdoors and make sure it's staying out there.

but if the culprit is the washer, then you definitely need a dehumidifier.

a decent one should be able to cope, just don't try to use your setup while any of that is running.

also, i hope you have your gear attached to some good power conditioning on a totally different circuit.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Hydroplane
audio school

Thanks

Post by Hydroplane » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:22 am

Cool. thanks for that info!
i'm gonna look into that today. i didn't think about that exhaust factor, that must be it. oh, i never run my studio while that dryer is going or when everything is moist in there. and the washer alone never causes any humidity, just the dryer, ever since the cold weather started.
Renzo

kenl666
ass engineer

Post by kenl666 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah, you definitely want to make sure that the dryer is venting outside. Besides all the warm moist air screwing everything up, you'll get dryer lint all over.

Hydroplane
audio school

Thanks a mill

Post by Hydroplane » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:48 pm

hey peeps,
i looked behind the dryer. turns out something had fallen behind there and pulled the exhaust out of the wall! it's back in now and doesn't get that humid anymore. thanks again for replying! :D
Renzo

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:54 pm

i love a happy ending!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca