Give us back that firewire port....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:38 am

space_ryerson wrote:
rwc wrote:calling it anything other than a woofer is insulting to both our industry and the average consumer's intelligence.
I wasn't implying that people didn't know what a woofer was. I merely meant that I saw no mention of it prior by Apple in their marketing, and if I had to order a replacement 'woofer' from them, the part may actually be called 'internal speaker', or something else like that. I've had to order a number of parts over the years from Apple for hardware repairs, and sometimes the part names don't seem the most intuitive.
I didn't mean insulting from you, I meant insulting from the companies that make this stuff.

subwoofer in a laptop?

come on, apple. come on.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:41 am

and the idea that firewire is for pros is absolutely ridiculous.

it can be USED by pros, but that doesn't mean it is EXCLUSIVE to working professionals.

external burners, external HDs, MP3 players, cheap consumer cameras and camcorders.. these all use firewire!

DVR boxes use firewire.

If one said SCSI, then, we'd be talking.

But firewire only being a professional interface option is news to me.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 am

rwc wrote:
space_ryerson wrote:
rwc wrote:calling it anything other than a woofer is insulting to both our industry and the average consumer's intelligence.
I wasn't implying that people didn't know what a woofer was. I merely meant that I saw no mention of it prior by Apple in their marketing, and if I had to order a replacement 'woofer' from them, the part may actually be called 'internal speaker', or something else like that. I've had to order a number of parts over the years from Apple for hardware repairs, and sometimes the part names don't seem the most intuitive.
I didn't mean insulting from you, I meant insulting from the companies that make this stuff.

subwoofer in a laptop?

come on, apple. come on.
Seriously! Also, on the Powerbook G4's it was right next to the hard drive. I have seen probably quadruple the hard drive failure on those models as opposed to the 12" model. It could have just been the model hard drive Apple chose, or it could be either the extra vibrations on the hard drive or the electromagnetism causing the issue.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:54 am

Let's face it, the make a better operating system but an inferior box, well, for a superior box it's inferior, it could be much better if they gave it a little more common sense in the design, without sacrificing the physics portion.
Harumph!

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:55 pm

That's senseless!! It seems like firewire has gained mass acceptance. It works well, and so much out there uses it. Why axe it now? I just bought a used 2.2 GHz Black Macbook. Glad I did.

(Love it too!!)

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 pm

allbaldo wrote:That's senseless!! It seems like firewire has gained mass acceptance. It works well, and so much out there uses it. Why axe it now? I just bought a used 2.2 GHz Black Macbook. Glad I did.

(Love it too!!)
why? so everyone will buy new hardware.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:00 pm

tateeskew wrote:why? so everyone will buy new hardware.
You're right, I'm sure. Seems weird that since iMovie... one of their regular apps... requires you to hook up a video camera, that they would keep the port for it.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:22 pm

well, you don't need to hook up anything to run iMovie. You can just import in your downloaded videos or whatever.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

With the advent of handheld cameras with hard disk or flash drive recorders and usb outputs, Ithink that ppoint will go away for "early adopters".
Harumph!

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:56 am

A friend of mine re cently asked me to make a DVD of a video she shot and her camera had a firewire and a USB port. I see more and more USB audio gear all the time.

Maybe Apple figured out that Macbooks were stealing sales from MBPro who knows?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:23 am

Not with the video card limitations in the macbook. It's not "pro" with the gma950 video card. It shares ram with the system. Bad. You can't run FinalCut Pro on a macbook.
Harumph!

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:03 pm

You can't run FinalCut Pro on a macbook.
While less than ideal compared to a 17" Macbook Pro, you can do some great stuff on a Macbook with Final Cut Pro as well as running DAW software. As long as it has the Firewire port that is.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:08 am

mixedupsteve wrote:A friend of mine re cently asked me to make a DVD of a video she shot and her camera had a firewire and a USB port. I see more and more USB audio gear all the time.
Could you actually stream hi-res video over the USB cable? (I doubt it)

The USB on my 2-year-old Samsung video camera only works for grabbing really lo-qual video and also for grabbing the photos off the SD card inside the camera. If you want to get the real video off the camera you need to use the firewire. Unless USB suddenly got much more awesome, in which case I am wrong.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 am

jessemesasavage wrote:
You can't run FinalCut Pro on a macbook.
While less than ideal compared to a 17" Macbook Pro, you can do some great stuff on a Macbook with Final Cut Pro as well as running DAW software. As long as it has the Firewire port that is.
From Apple:

Minimum System Requirements

An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)

Unfortunately, that's what the newer macbooks with fire wire have. Integrated GMA950 integrated graphics.
Harumph!

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Tatertot wrote:
mixedupsteve wrote:A friend of mine re cently asked me to make a DVD of a video she shot and her camera had a firewire and a USB port. I see more and more USB audio gear all the time.
Could you actually stream hi-res video over the USB cable? (I doubt it)

The USB on my 2-year-old Samsung video camera only works for grabbing really lo-qual video and also for grabbing the photos off the SD card inside the camera. If you want to get the real video off the camera you need to use the firewire. Unless USB suddenly got much more awesome, in which case I am wrong.
It was a Mini DV camera so the capture process is real time. I had no problem.