Studio RTA Creation Station

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Studio RTA Creation Station

Post by sad iron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:31 pm

I noticed that many of us are rocking this reasonably priced piece of infrastructure and I just picked one up for myself today. Relatively easy construction and thus far it seems like a really usable and sturdy piece. So I thought I'd just jump in here and say I'm feeling good about this new purchase. It was between the Creation Station and the Alphatrack (today's (yesterday's) my birthday and I had a couple hundred bucks in my pocket).

So I guess I open this up to folks for thoughts about best usage, love fest, hate mail, etc. What do you all think of this utilitarian marvel? Thus far, I'm feeling good about it. I like having my knobs in front of me. I'm struggling to type, but I'm also drunk, so I won't hold that against the desk.

(Yes, I know, this is a thread about furniture. We all seek pleasure in the smallest joys.)
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:48 pm

i like mine, tho it's a bit of a knee-banger and the rack rails didn't go in straight (common problem).

only other thing that bugs me is the big-assed platform that goes around the bottom that leaves me draping cables over it and stubbing my toes all the time.

but it's definitely a step up from folding steel-framed banquet tables!

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:57 pm

RefD wrote:i like mine, tho it's a bit of a knee-banger and the rack rails didn't go in straight (common problem).

only other thing that bugs me is the big-assed platform that goes around the bottom that leaves me draping cables over it and stubbing my toes all the time.

but it's definitely a step up from folding steel-framed banquet tables!
Yeah, I haven't figured out what the huge platform is good for yet. I wish it could be modded to hold more rack stuff. Maybe RTA needs to think more modularly. I'm resting my feet on the platform now. Studio Barcalounger.

One question: does it offer near as much rack space as it claims? I don't have a lot to put in the rack, so it makes the package look more impressive, but I wonder.

I do like how it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. And I haven't even done anything yet.

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:16 am

Sorry to be a party pooper here, but I really hate how so much studio furniture is particle board. Even the expensive stuff is still MDF most of the time, which is kind of like super particle board, but still particle board.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Veej007 wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper here, but I really hate how so much studio furniture is particle board. Even the expensive stuff is still MDF most of the time, which is kind of like super particle board, but still particle board.
no pooping, i think most ppl would agree with you.

but hardwood or even crappy plywood construction would put this stuff in a much more expensive price.

maybe some day when i have time and money (both hard to come by) i will build something for myself to replace this.

the Studio RTA stuff is simply the cheapest thing i could find that wouldn't just collapse after assembly.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 pm

I agree the particle board it a drag, but I have to say that one thing that convinced me to get this desk it looking at it in GC. The panels are thick and sturdy and I can see it lasting me a long time. One thing that is bugging me these first few day of use is that it's more susceptible to wobble than my huge teacher's desk was. I keep getting distracted by my beer undulating in the bottle while I type or play air drums.

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 pm

sorry to hijack this thread, but looking at the rack space on the desktop made me think of this.

is it possible to buy rack rails themselves? i googled it and found rackmount accessories, but nothing looked like the rails themselves. i have some space on my desk that i could use for a rack. i would have to build a frame, but that would consist of wood and screws. shouldnt be to hard. i want to put my 2 dbx pb48's, motu mtp av, roland m120 and possibly my korg tr rack in front of me for easier access than off to the right in the rack which sucks for the m120. i have to square up just to get the knobs to be even on more than one channel.

i need to start measuring!!

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:49 pm

cozy wrote:sorry to hijack this thread, but looking at the rack space on the desktop made me think of this.

is it possible to buy rack rails themselves? i googled it and found rackmount accessories, but nothing looked like the rails themselves. i have some space on my desk that i could use for a rack. i would have to build a frame, but that would consist of wood and screws. shouldnt be to hard. i want to put my 2 dbx pb48's, motu mtp av, roland m120 and possibly my korg tr rack in front of me for easier access than off to the right in the rack which sucks for the m120. i have to square up just to get the knobs to be even on more than one channel.

i need to start measuring!!
Yeah, you can buy them. I don't know where off the top of my head, but I would imagine a google of 'rack rails' might turn something up.

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 pm

thanks, one more google and i found raxxess rails at zzsounds.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:01 pm

cozy wrote:thanks, one more google and i found raxxess rails at zzsounds.
rock on

theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 am

I've been able to fit quite a bit on mine as you can see here:

While it is particle board, mine has held up pretty well over the past year or so. So far the only problems I've had was with one of the wheels. It got caught on some carpet and completely busted off. No worries, though. I was able to drill some new holes and it was fixed. As far as mass produced desks go, it's probably the best deal out there.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:56 pm

here's a moody pic of the new setup. I look at this and realize I don't have hardly anything I had a year ago.

How do you like the Behri controller Shaggy? I almost bought an Alphatrack with the $$ I spent on the desk. Still thinking about a controller. I miss faders.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm

nice shots!

i just need a flat panel display and a shallow 49 key controller now. :)

theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:34 am

sad iron wrote:
How do you like the Behri controller Shaggy? I almost bought an Alphatrack with the $$ I spent on the desk. Still thinking about a controller. I miss faders.
While it can do more, I mainly just use it for volume and panning adjustments. I also tend to use it to stop/start the transport as well. If that's all you need, it's well worth the money considering what other unit cost that do the same thing.

Circuit Scream

Post by Circuit Scream » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:29 am

I love mine, I've got the Producer Station and Creation Station. I agree about the particle board syndrome, but I think the RTA desks are pretty hefty for the price.

I've punished some desks in my time, but the Creation Station holds both my Tascam 32 and Akai GX reel decks on the top shelf, with the rack gear, and a MIDI keyboard and a few other things with no problem. (in this pic though I've got my macs on it).

I left the casters off the producer station to make it more even height-wise with the CS one. These desks have been well worth it.

------

"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream