Making a mono guitar into a stereo one.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses! I'll consider these. My first thought was something that would emulate MS stereo, though my experiments haven't yielded what I'd hoped. If he had tracked a DI too, this would be a lot easier. I've had decent luck with that. I haven't tried doing a re-amp thing yet, since the sound is VERY overdriven, and I haven't had good luck re-amping overdriven sounds, but maybe I should try it again.

I'll try some of this, and report back.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:58 pm

allbaldo wrote:Thanks for all the responses! I'll consider these. My first thought was something that would emulate MS stereo, though my experiments haven't yielded what I'd hoped. If he had tracked a DI too, this would be a lot easier. I've had decent luck with that. I haven't tried doing a re-amp thing yet, since the sound is VERY overdriven, and I haven't had good luck re-amping overdriven sounds, but maybe I should try it again.

I'll try some of this, and report back.
Reamp throught a small PA instead of a guitar amp if things are already overdriven.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 am

You can also try playing back through your monitor(s), mic'd stereo. Or just mic the monitor mono and then use the latency and recording chain (change of EQ, mebbe a little starved tube or compression) to thicken the sound as you use that recorded mic'd track in the mix as one side of the "stereo" guitar.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 am

cgarges wrote:I'm just waiting for chorusing to become hip again.
i still love chorusing, but i haven't used it in over a decade on guitar...synths yes, guitars no.

some day!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca