Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

orbasm
audio school

Microkorgs and Reason 4... need midi help

Post by orbasm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Good afternoon, everyone.

Short time lurker, first time poster.

insta-caveat: i'm very very very new so please be gentle. if i'm in the wrong forum or need to be directed elsewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I have a Microkorg, Reason 4, an m-audio midi/usb adapter and epic frustration.

I'm having trouble using the Microkorg as a controller for the synths in Reason. I have "Korg <Other> (MIDI Control Keyboard)" as the Master Keyboard within Attached Surfaces under Keyboards and Control Services. (note: the Microkorg was not an option as an automatic attached surface, so I had to create a generic Midi Control Keyboard.)

This is set as my Master Keyboard.

On the Microkorg, Edit Select 2 is on Midi, the Midi Clock is on INT and the Midi Channel is set to 1.

The M-Audio Uno adapter shows the "midi in" light as full green, which is usually indicative of a connection. The USB light is blinking slowly green however... that's sort of ominous...

anyway, i've dicked with everything in Reason... i think. any advice on how to set up the microkorg as a midi device to control the synths? settings i'm missing in Reason? on the Microkorg?

thanks in advance.

onlyone
ass engineer

Re: Microkorgs and Reason 4... need midi help

Post by onlyone » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm

hello!

i haven't used reason or that microkorg specifically, but most of the stuff at play is pretty global. so i'll have my go at helping out on that stuff, and if there's anything specific to reason or the korg that i missed i'm sure someone helpful will pop up!

first thing to check would be all your connections:

1) usb from the MIDI interface to the computer. this appears to be cool since you're getting light activity on the interface.

2) MIDI OUT from the microkorg connected to a MIDI IN on the interface. if this is not connected, MIDI information will not be sent from the keyboard to the computer. MIDI information travels in ONE direction in a cable, so for two way communication (sending and receiving) you need two cables.

3) MIDI OUT from the INTERFACE to MIDI IN on the microkorg. this is so that you can trigger the microkorg from reason. if you don't wish to do that, this cable could be omitted.

once you've checked the MIDI connection from the microkorg to the interface, hit a key on the keyboard. the interface should have an LED to show when it is receiving MIDI information, and if the korg is sending info successfully to the interface, this LED will blink briefly. if this doesn't work, you need to confirm that the korg is set to transmit MIDI information and/ or swap out the MIDI cable.

this is just basic MIDI connection stuff i'm suggesting you double check, but it's very easy to make a mistake hooking things up (plugging IN to IN or only using one cable connection). so it's worth checking, especially if you're just getting started on this stuff.

good luck, and don't let frustration get to you... you'll get it rolling.

orbasm wrote:Good afternoon, everyone.

Short time lurker, first time poster.

insta-caveat: i'm very very very new so please be gentle. if i'm in the wrong forum or need to be directed elsewhere, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I have a Microkorg, Reason 4, an m-audio midi/usb adapter and epic frustration.

I'm having trouble using the Microkorg as a controller for the synths in Reason. I have "Korg <Other> (MIDI Control Keyboard)" as the Master Keyboard within Attached Surfaces under Keyboards and Control Services. (note: the Microkorg was not an option as an automatic attached surface, so I had to create a generic Midi Control Keyboard.)

This is set as my Master Keyboard.

On the Microkorg, Edit Select 2 is on Midi, the Midi Clock is on INT and the Midi Channel is set to 1.

The M-Audio Uno adapter shows the "midi in" light as full green, which is usually indicative of a connection. The USB light is blinking slowly green however... that's sort of ominous...

anyway, i've dicked with everything in Reason... i think. any advice on how to set up the microkorg as a midi device to control the synths? settings i'm missing in Reason? on the Microkorg?

thanks in advance.