Basement studio and pipes

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Dang...I just thought of something.

With the room -in-a-room option, or even using RC on the joists above, I get Mass-Air-Mass to the upstairs. Good thing.

But going UP through the ceiling, then into the room (in the basement) is just Mass-Air...

Do I extend the exterior drywall all the way up to the underside of the floor? Wouldn't that create a scenario with structure borne transmission?

Am I rattling off buzzwords I don't entirely understand? :)

I'm just smart enough to know I'm stupid. Boo.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:16 am

http://hotelmorrell.com/studio/Basement02.jpg

Updated model of the basement. This is addictive.

CompEq
audio school graduate

Post by CompEq » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 pm

The realistic goal is to be able to record vocals and have my wife not feel like she needs to walk on eggshells
The first part may be manageable, as it's easy enough to drywall and mud around the pipes, but the second (eggshells) part will take some doing. The footsteps from above will most likely be heard in any scenario short of a room within a room and some serious STC ratings, remember it's mainly mechanical. Also, depending on the temperature swings, you may want to make some sort of grommet (whether through caulk, rubber, tape, etc.) that will allow the pipes some degree of mobility for expansion/contraction. Also, the term you are looking for is "sweating" copper pipes. Soldering is for wires.

Good luck. I was looking at having drainage pipes moved at one time for a control room I was planning to build. Fortunately I didn't have to go through with that.