Phono level -- transferring to digital

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Phono level -- transferring to digital

Post by DryCounty » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 am

Hey Gang

Curious how I'd go about digitizing some of my old vinyl. As I understand it, phono level is different than line level. Do I need a special phono amp or could I somehow rig my Mcintosh amp to handle this?

I've got a cheap presonus firepod just waiting for some vintage stuff. Thanks in advance!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 am

I'm a bit lost on the exact nature of your question, so I'm gonna be BASIC. Forgive me if you know this stuff...

You need some kinda phono preamp with an RIAA curve input for the output of your table. Regular old stereo integrated amp with a phono input does the trick. Then you need a way to get the output of the phono preamp to your recording rig. Again, a regular old integrated amp could do this if it has tape outs on it. Set your amp up to run the phono, set the phono as the source for the tape, and run the tape outs to your digital recorder input. I don't know what kind of functions you have on your McIntosh, but a dedicated phono input and a tape send is what you need.

It's likely a -10dBm signal. If you run a +4dBu system (like me), you may need an extra gain stage before your recorder. Last time I did this move (3 or 4 months ago) I ran the tape outs to a nice compressor that had some gain ability to juice the signal before the recorder. I used my API 2500 with basically no compression, but I used the manual make up gain to get a decent level into my PT rig. That's it.

O.K. I used a buncha other stuff in the chain too, like some nice passive EQ's I have to shape the sound a little, and make up gain after them that was full of traffos for some extra grit and color that I was looking for. You can get nuts if you have time and options but there's no need to. I just like messing with chains of gear...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

purple pie pete
alignin' 24-trk

phono preamp

Post by purple pie pete » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:11 am

Yes, you need a phono preamp. There's some good information about this online if you google it. Here's a good site for some more info: http://www.phonopreamps.com/faq.html

Basically, the level coming from the turntable needs some amplification and equalization.

If you have a stereo with a phono input on it, you can just run your turntable through this and then send the tape outputs to your firepod. Otherwise, there are many different phono preamps out there that you could buy, as well.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm

i use a radial j33 phono preamp/d.i. for this.

it works flawlessly and has balanced outs so i can run the long cables from my lounge to my studio without worrying about signal degradation. the signal will sometimes need boosting before it hits the converters, so i either use my desk pre's or my germanium compressors for a little gain.

i've found i prefer the sound of the vinyl transfers to the original cd's on some things.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:07 am

I've used an integrated amp tape outs which did have slightly low levels. I just increased it using the level on the interface. No problem. If your Mcintosh has a tape or aux out it should work fine.

There are USB turntables made for this now also.