mxl 603 differences new vs old?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

oilcanstudios
ass engineer

mxl 603 differences new vs old?

Post by oilcanstudios » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:49 pm

anyone know the differences between the different runs of the mxl 603

i scored a pair for 100 bucks on ebay that have the mogami engraving on the body.

didn't know if anyone liked these better than the newer ones in terms of build quality and capsule quality?

any info would be great!!!

thanks

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 pm

I've seen some with a different body - I think one had the set screws that you turn like you were tightening them, but it actually releases the bottom part (so you can access the PCB). I think that is the current method.

The others actually had very tiny screws I had to remove. otherwise don't recall too much difference inside.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 am

There are no significant differences between old and new 603 that affect their sound.

Manufacturing vendors were changed, slightly different backplate plastics were used, brass and aluminum bodies were used, minor topologies changes exist (elimination of FET bias pot for fixed value resistors).

But the essential design remains the same - and is found in the Nady CM-90 and CAD GXL1200 as well.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:53 am

Michael_Joly wrote: But the essential design remains the same - and is found in the Nady CM-90 and CAD GXL1200 as well.
Does having the same basic design mean that the MXL 603 and the CM90 are the same mic soundwise? I have an old pair of CM90s that came with a drum mic kit when I was first starting, and I have two MXL603s now that I've gotten free with buying other mics. The CM90s always picked up cymbals really harshly, and not much else, picking up pretty much no low-end at all (dedicated "cymbal" mics, as opposed to just overheads, man my old recordings wouldn't have been so awful if I was relying on better overheads).

I actually really like the MXL 603s, I usually use either them or a pair of LDCs for overheads. The 603s pick up a good range of frequencies, and they have a really wide pickup pattern (which can be good or bad depending on the application).

Many I'm just misunderstanding you, it just doesn't seem like they're the same soundwise at all!

oilcanstudios
ass engineer

Post by oilcanstudios » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:59 am

thanks everybody!!

I should be sending these babies over to you Mr. Joly when funds run rampant in my bank account

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 am

jgimbel wrote:
Michael_Joly wrote: But the essential design remains the same - and is found in the Nady CM-90 and CAD GXL1200 as well.
Does having the same basic design mean that the MXL 603 and the CM90 are the same mic soundwise? I have an old pair of CM90s that came with a drum mic kit when I was first starting, and I have two MXL603s now that I've gotten free with buying other mics. The CM90s always picked up cymbals really harshly, and not much else, picking up pretty much no low-end at all (dedicated "cymbal" mics, as opposed to just overheads, man my old recordings wouldn't have been so awful if I was relying on better overheads).

I actually really like the MXL 603s, I usually use either them or a pair of LDCs for overheads. The 603s pick up a good range of frequencies, and they have a really wide pickup pattern (which can be good or bad depending on the application).

Many I'm just misunderstanding you, it just doesn't seem like they're the same soundwise at all!
Good observations! What you're hearing is the difference in the capsule housing and body vent design between the 603 and CM-90. The slotted front end of the CM-90 totally trashes the transient response and smears the top end and the body vents are narrower in the CM-90 leading to HF boost. Inside the mic everything else is the same - diaphragm, spacers, backplate and circuit. There could be some capsule tuning differences but that is an assembly, not design problem. I fix all these issue when I mod the capsules and body vents. Upgrading the electronics is a separate issue which I also do.