Fostex B16: worth fixing? worth selling?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gauze
alignin' 24-trk

Fostex B16: worth fixing? worth selling?

Post by gauze » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:02 pm

I have a couple of these machines that I used last in 2006. One had transport troubles the other "probably" has bias oscillator problems (according to a snap diagnosis from someone on these message boards). I then promptly lost my space to do recording (and by the looks of it and my interest level I probably won't start again honestly)

Do these machines have any value now? I've been checking ebay for a couple weeks and they just do not get listed anymore ... are these just not of interest to anyone anymore, not even analog recording hobbiests?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am

Fix them first, then put on ebay or take to your local dealer for consignment.
I don't know about the east coast, but over here in Portland Oregon, multi-track reel to reel is in pretty high demand.
Might call ATR for help pricing and finding repair.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe just fix one and sell them both as a package deal if your money is tight. Definitely don't toss them.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis