Tascam 38 or 388 owners - what's required for maintenance?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Circuit Scream
gimme a little kick & snare

Tascam 38 or 388 owners - what's required for maintenance?

Post by Circuit Scream » Fri May 08, 2009 5:51 am

I'm trying to decide between the 38 or the 388, and trying to get an idea of the overall expense of maintaining each - tape costs, alignment, etc, so I'm not in for any major surprises. :) I was going to get one last year but got sidetracked.

I don't mind a little expense of maintaining, but would prefer it to be something I can calibrate/align myself if needed, and not have to spend hundreds on each year for a "tune-up" or something. What do you guys do to maintain these units besides demagnetizing?

I know they're not pro decks, but they'll suit my purposes fine.

And if anyone has one for sale... :)

Thanks!
"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 08, 2009 6:41 am

The tech I used said it was harder to calibrate the two head 388 than a 3 head design because there's no monitor head.

Hopefully someone else will have the exact why's and wherefores.

In any case, here's a link to basic maintenance:

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_mate ... orders.htm

An alignment tape price:
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/mrltapes.html

Circuit Scream

Post by Circuit Scream » Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 am

Thanks for the link. Read through a few other threads on here too, the 388 *is* a bit too large for my desk, but seems like it may be easier/cheaper to maintain. Dang, the 457 from Quantegy is not cheap, is it?
--Quellek

aka Circuit Scream

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 am

Since these machines are 20+ years old, I'd say it will depend on each individual machine you look at whether it's been abused or maintained throughout its life. Tape cost and tape speed are probably more important (remember the 38 runs at twice the speed of a 388) and will determine how much money you'll have to invest in the long-term. I had a 388 and I didn't do anything for years except clean the heads and tape path. Unless you're running a big-time studio or something sounds really funky I wouldn't worry about it.

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 am

The 388 is pretty bulky, takes up a lot of real estate and is totally charming. I will lug it around til it dies. And the 457 equiv RMGI is only $22 - a real steal these days.

http://www.splicit.com/rmgi_tape.html

Circuit Scream

Post by Circuit Scream » Fri May 08, 2009 11:26 am

I think I've settled on the 388. the mixer section is nice, and looks to be better for me to maintain myself. I could be wrong, but...

Now the hard part - giving up my RTA producer desk for a cafeteria table to hold it, lol.

thanks for the link to the tape!
--Quellek

aka Circuit Scream

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 08, 2009 11:31 am

christianson wrote:I think I've settled on the 388. Now the hard part - giving up my RTA producer desk for a cafeteria table to hold it, lol.
If you've settled on the 388, you can also rack it if you don't want the cafeteria table setup, something like this might work for you:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... hlight=388

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 pm

Buy some spare fuses for it because that's the first thing to check when something goes funky.

Also, one day a belt on the back may get loose and fall off. It happened to two 388 owners I know.

and you will find this useful:

http://www.thehabitat.info/Tascam388_TrackSheet.pdf

go forth and conquer.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

skywavebe
ass engineer

Post by skywavebe » Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Hello Christianson;
I have worked where they service these things and the 388 is a real pain to work on due to it's size and construction. In the world of recording I see a lot of 38's running but the 388 I usually see are on E bay sold for parts and not working. The TSR8 is another choice that might be better than the 388. The only advantage the 388 has over the 38 is that it has it's own mixer built in. When the transport goes down the mixer does do much for that. Maintenance and calibration is something I do all the time even now and it is of course much easier with a three head design. There were two other decks called the 48 and 58 that were of a superior to the 38 which is base line starts for the 1/2" 8 track line. Maintenance yourself will require the knowledge to work on the machine, an Oscilliscope, ACmV meter with dB scale, Sine wave oscillators and attenuator, alignment tapes, channel switch device and a few other devices like a wow and flutter meter with speed tape. When you tool up to get all that and learn the process to do it- IT will be cheaper to pay to have it done. I know because I have all these things and know what they cost. I also worked at Teac for several years in Chicago.
Best regards,

Sam Palermo,
Skywave Tape Deck Repair
(708) 334-2260 cell
skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Lead Tech. Teac Chicago Factory Service

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am

I personally know about 4 other people who have 388's and none of them are working right now, except mine. I have lugged that thing all over the place, carrying it all by myself up stairs and shit, to do "location" recordings, just because I love working on it so much.

I'll be bummed when mine starts falling apart, but it's been solid as a tank for the 6 or so years that I've had it and I'd gladly pay to have it fixed. Also, you don't have to use 457. I know it's what's recommended but 456 will work just fine.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed May 13, 2009 10:44 am

I shudder to think about the innards of these beasts shipped owner to owner over the years with less than perfect packing.
FWIW i had mine pro packed to me, pro set up (by the guy above), did the belt myself and have had no issues. (knocks on veneer sideboards..)

skywavebe
ass engineer

Post by skywavebe » Wed May 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Shedshrine;

Does this guy have a name? Maybe I know who he is even though we never met. Your observation is very good to have. I know at Teac and later at a private shop in the same place called Chicago Factory Service we only saw the stuff that broke all the time which gave us a skewed look at the overall picture but then think about all the great stuff that was out there that never even came in. The 388 at Chicago was not in all that often. In fact they probably had 10 to 12 of them in total. Still with the things like they were, Teac had a repair rack with flip over capability to work on those things. I don't know what happened to it. Things in Chicago got disposed of pretty fast at the end.
It was sad to see the 539 W. Golf Rd facility shut down for good as I spent a lot of my hours working there as well as going there as a customer. I actually got my BSEE while working there in 1985. We had some good laughs. Matt Suzuki who hired me now works at Fostex.
Best regards,

Sam Palermo,
Skywave Tape Deck Repair
(708) 334-2260 cell
skywavebe@sbcglobal.net

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 pm

His name is Lawrence, goes by Rance, and his shop is called Rance Electronics in Berkeley. (Sorry, can't recall his last name)

Might as well re-post the whole aquisition story as it covers alot of setup involved with getting a reel to reel deck.

"I got it in my noggin that I wanted another Tascam 388. I had four reels kicking around that I'd filled from my first go round with one I bought new in 1988 that I wanted to transfer, and I also had a jones to get back into tape.

I was fiending pretty bad, nothing was coming up local on craigslist, but there were usually at least a couple on ebay. Finally, an auction came up for one advertised as basically never having been used, with a colorful story behind it ..and no pictures. A couple emails back and forth before auction end and I use the buy it now. It's mine for $600.00

I end up with his phone number and we talk several times. Guy sounds cool, elderly guy who's contracted ms, used to be a studio musician in Philly in the seventies and eighties. He said he'd bought the last unopened box unit the music store had had, and though he ended up not being able to use it, kept it as inspiration to fight the ms. Said he had kept it in the livingroom to look at. I bought the story, and didn't insist on pics.

Longer story short, after a harrowing week and a half getting the shipping together on his end, I get it. I had it shipped 3 day air to minimize conveyor belt drops, and paid to have it professionally packed. I get it home and man handle it into the livingroom where I grab a kitchen knife to cut through all the packing tape.

As soon as I get a decent size cut going along one side, I pull up to look inside. Phew! Huge blast of cigarette stench that only gets stronger with each cut of bubble wrap. There is a coating on the face of the thing, and especially on the rear connections, which I guess never got wiped down.

Making things worse was that the seller lived in a severely humid area, the florida keys no less, so there is the beginnings of corrosion in several places. I'm crushed, frustrated and mad all at the same time.

I call the guy, who says," why yes I do smoke, why?" and "Well, down here everything starts to rust eventually". Of course smokers don't tend to notice the heavy smell that builds in their homes, and the effects of humidity there are so matter of fact, that the "meager" corrosion of the deck is comparatively mint in his eyes.

But, the reel to reel section has been protected all these years by the plexiglass cover and though smells a bit, fine. The heads are indeed pristine. Not having a variac, I just plug it in to see what happens. Everything lights up, 10 beautiful vu meters. I run a signal, and am surprised at the sound quality. Things aren't so bad afterall.

Encouraged, I scrub the entire thing, and the connections especially take some serious finger-numbing scrubbing. Initially with alcohol swabs for the cigarette tar, and then brasso on the chrome. Amazingly, it almost entirely comes off. Great.

I have already ordered and received a few rolls of 457, a new capstan belt as the original was complete goo, a new pinchroller and a handimag. The original pinchroller, 17 years new, is good as new after just a bit of scrubbing with a wet qtip, and turns smoothly giving accurate readout with a little machine oil. Fine.

I load up tape, and it lurches and stops. I fuss with positioning the tension arms and can get it turning a bit if I hold them, but on it's own it's just not happening. Fine, I was planning on having a tech check it out anyway.

I take it to the tech across the bay on a day off, as early as I can, planning to just hang around there in Berkeley til he calls. There's no call for quite awhile so I stop back by. He had been troubleshooting all afternoon and finally determined that the servo tension controllers are corroded, and won't allow precise adjustments. Shit!

The servo controllers are all located under a grill opening on the top deck above the vu meters. (the earliests 388s produced didn't have this grill) He needs to get some parts, so we set up a pickup date a week later.

I get there as he's opening the shop as he's agreed to let me watch him work. He has all the cool tools, and whips out a hakko desoldering gun to swap out the tiny parts. Finally everything is calibrated and up to spec and ready to rock.

All told my $600 ebay Tascam 388 ended up costing me around $1300. New, they sold for $3100 - 3300. In any case, while it didn't turn out to be the sweetest deal, the thing runs like a tank now. It's pots are scratchy here and there, and the record light for channel three doesn't light up when depressed, but these are extremely minor issues."

The end.

skywavebe
ass engineer

Post by skywavebe » Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Wow, That was quite and ordeal. Yes I know about smoke residue. I have had to deal with it for a long time. It comes off with Windex you know.
This is easy on the lettering which might come off with harsher solvents.
Good show.
I enjoyed the suspense as you got it going.
Enjoy this machine.
Best regards,

Sam Palermo,
Skywave Tape Deck Repair
(708) 334-2260 cell
skywavebe@sbcglobal.net

Circuit Scream

Post by Circuit Scream » Thu May 14, 2009 6:47 am

Wow, Shedshrine you DID have to go through a mess there. But glad it ended well!

Sam, thanks for the info, I thought about SOME of the maintenance gear you mentioned, but dang...that's a lot of other stuff I wasn't planning on.

But I'm still looking for one, not gonna let the maintenance deter me. Thanks for all the info and advice guys, it's good to know there are resources for this unit. I'm just gonna be patient and find one in good shape OR really, really cheap to whip into shape. I'll keep you guys posted.

--Donnie
--Quellek

aka Circuit Scream