Low profile recording app

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Low profile recording app

Post by Jim_Boulter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 am

I'm looking for a basic recording app with a very small digital footprint so that I can record sermons at church on the same computer as running PowerPoint. I know, the best solution is a seperate computer, but due to limited space and... actually, just limited space. I have a recording rig, and access to other computers, but really need to do it on the same PC. A single, mono channel is all that will ever be done this way.

It would be nice to be able to trim start and end points, compress/normalize, High pass (though I'll likely be doing that already at the board), and rip to an MP3 so that I can upload to our website before the last "amen", but that is all gravy. (But is also why I want something at least semi-professional to do it with.)

From what I've heard, Reaper may be the way to go, but I've never used it. Suggestions?

--Jim
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 am

Reaper.
Everything louder than everything else.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:23 am

Has anyone mentioned Reaper yet? :wink:

Yes, Reaper is tiny and cheap and reliable and intuitive and powerful. And it smells nice.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 am

Okay, so are there any tricks to setting up a default recording setup with just the single audio channel so as not to confuse those who will (hopefully) be filling in when I'm not there?

I'll play and figure it out, but any shortcuts or pitfalls to avoid? I have about two months to play and get things running smoothly before I really want to "go live" with it, so no biggy if I don't get any responses on this part now that Reaper is pretty much decided.

Thanks!

--Jim

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 am

You can create a project template in Reaper with a channel armed for record, so that all someone would have to do (assuming the routing and levels don't change) Is open up a shortcut and hit record and then stop.

Audacity might fit the bill even better. You could set it up to automatically start and stop recording on a given date and time:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/downloa ... -1.3-k.php

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 am

darjama wrote:You can create a project template in Reaper with a channel armed for record, so that all someone would have to do (assuming the routing and levels don't change) Is open up a shortcut and hit record and then stop.
That would be pretty nice, and is exactly the kind of shortcut I was looking for. I'll even use it, just to keep things running smoothly all the time, and so I know it works. Should be easy enough for anyone to do.
darjama wrote:Audacity might fit the bill even better. You could set it up to automatically start and stop recording on a given date and time:
Wow. That would be a much safer way to go IF: 1) I always know when I'm going to be gone, and 2) it remains in the background when it does it, so it doesn't interrupt the PowerPoint presentation. I'd have to record really early to really late, since predicting when the preacher will start and stop is harder than predicting the weather, but that might be worthwhile. I'll check it out.

Thanks!