MOTU firmware problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose134
pushin' record

MOTU firmware problem

Post by goose134 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:30 pm

I recently had a MOTU ultralite mk3 sent back to me after the outputs were discovered to be faulty. When I power the unit I received up, the display reads CPU not valid update firmware. It is currently running 1.00. I've been to MOTU's website and they offer a firmware update but it does not apply to ultralite mk3.
I can't believe that it isn't out there. My last unit interfaced with the computer just fine, it was simply bad outputs. I don't know what to do. Any thoughts? I am running Vista 64.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:40 pm

call MOTU. Or email their tech support.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Yeah, I did that. Exploring other avenues while awaiting a reply. Cannot believe this is a dead end

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Did you try downloading the first driver on the page? It seems to be a catch-all for USB 2 and Firewire units. Might be a good place to start.

How long has it been since you emailed MOTU tech support?

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:05 am

Emailing tech support at MOTU is like trying to get in touch with the prople on the space station through carrier pidgeon. It could take a month before anyone notices.

Call them up using a phone that has 'busy redial' . That is really the only way I have found to get them on the phone the same day. You can also try customer service, they might be able to expedite your response.

They seem extremely under-staffed for the volume of work they are obviously getting.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:16 am

Agreed. While having a hard time with them once, I compared trying to get someone to speak to with trying to win Rolling Stones tickets from the local classic rock radio station. Except, when you finally win tickets you don't want to reach through the phone line and strangle the idiot on the other end.

Eff that company. Eff 'em twice in case the first time didn't take.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:43 pm

I tried the download. There's a README file that explains how to get the unit into firmware boot mode. It tells me to press a button I don't even have on the unit. I think that is why it isn't any good for the ultralite.

As for how long ago I emailed them, it's only been three or four days now. I haven't given up hope yet, but I am frustrated.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:31 pm

goose134 wrote: As for how long ago I emailed them, it's only been three or four days now. I haven't given up hope yet, but I am frustrated.
Call them. They didn't respond to my email until 3 weeks after I got my unit back from them. Call them, it's the only way.

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Also try unicornation.com or motunation.com

somewhere on there should know

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm

eBay.

Bro..... I have to say MOTU is a koo-koo bunch.
The only thing worse than their poorly built interfaces, is their ridiculous lack of tech support ...... well and DP.

Not feeling that company at all.

Think Metric Halo or Echo depending on budget.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:35 pm

farview wrote:Emailing tech support at MOTU is like trying to get in touch with the prople on the space station through carrier pidgeon. It could take a month before anyone notices.

Call them up using a phone that has 'busy redial' . That is really the only way I have found to get them on the phone the same day. You can also try customer service, they might be able to expedite your response.

They seem extremely under-staffed for the volume of work they are obviously getting.
MOTU tech support is weapons-grade awful.

As in, they actually hate their customers.

And when you finally (after months) get a response to a tech-support query, the answer is wrong and doesn't address your question.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Actually I'm pleased to report that the problem has been solved. New unit arrived today and I'm kind of putting it through its paces before letting MOTU know. I think that the phone support takes a bit of doing. By a bit, I mean a huge chunk of time. The online support wasn't too bad. Had this hashed out within two weeks. Thanks to all that replied.