WHAT IS THE BEST MIC FOR RECORDING GUITAR CABINETS?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kiln_house
pluggin' in mics

WHAT IS THE BEST MIC FOR RECORDING GUITAR CABINETS?

Post by kiln_house » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 am

OK this has probably been covered like a millions times here but...Ive finally have some time to do some recording after a years hiatus and nee dto get some new mics or used ones...I am recording a Vox AC30 into a TEAC 3340s what is the proper way to mic this cab and what would be the bets mic to get lets say price isnt an option and start from there....THANKS IN ADVANCE : )
Last edited by kiln_house on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:55 am

The tried and true method is a sm57 up close and a 121 or something similar distant - like 3-8 feet.

You can stick the 57 right up in the grill or a couple inches to a foot back - on or off axis. It comes down to taste.

No matter how much money you have to spend on a guitar mic, $75, usually will get you the best results.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 am

Seems like a lot of people go ribbon and never go back. My go to elec guitar mic is an EV N/D 468. YMMV.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:23 am

Last weekend I used a combination of SM57 and Royer R-121 with great results. The 121 is so damn smooth on the top end. I slowly brought up the 57 for a little more mid range snarl.

Mic pres help too. Something about a trident mic pre and a 57, it's a good combo.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 am

I'd try a Bock 507 (somewhere between $6000 and $7000) combined with a Crowley And Tripp el Diablo ($3000). You should be able to get a good workable sound from that.

Now, if we can cut the bullshit and you can be honest with what your real life budget is, I'd be happy to recommend some good mics in your budget.

It's really frustrating to see these threads where the poster says something along the lines of, "let's say price doesn't matter". PRICE OBVIOUSLY MATTERS. If you had an unending supply of money, you'd be able to just try every badass mic there is and see which one works best for you.

So, there's this.... Are you trying to:

a. instigate some discussion of everyone's dream setup, where everyone talks about mics that they haven't ever used, but would love to?

or,

b. get some actual recommendations that will be useful to you right now?

If the answer is "a", then UTFSF. There are endless threads discussing dream gear.

But, if the answer is "b" and you actually want some useful recommendations, then stop bullshitting, give us your real world budget, and more details about what you want to record. Will you be playing an electric banjo through your Vox? Or, a hollow-body guitar in context with jangly pop music? Or, a Les Paul in a metal band? Is this for solo-guitar compositions?

Give us some of these REAL WORLD DETAILS, and you'll find that the responses will be much more useful.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:29 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I'd try a Bock 507 (somewhere between $6000 and $7000) combined with a Crowley And Tripp el Diablo ($3000). You should be able to get a good workable sound from that.

Now, if we can cut the bullshit and you can be honest with what your real life budget is, I'd be happy to recommend some good mics in your budget.

It's really frustrating to see these threads where the poster says something along the lines of, "let's say price doesn't matter". PRICE OBVIOUSLY MATTERS. If you had an unending supply of money, you'd be able to just try every badass mic there is and see which one works best for you.

So, there's this.... Are you trying to:

a. instigate some discussion of everyone's dream setup, where everyone talks about mics that they haven't ever used, but would love to?

or,

b. get some actual recommendations that will be useful to you right now?

If the answer is "a", then UTFSF. There are endless threads discussing dream gear.

But, if the answer is "b" and you actually want some useful recommendations, then stop bullshitting, give us your real world budget, and more details about what you want to record. Will you be playing an electric banjo through your Vox? Or, a hollow-body guitar in context with jangly pop music? Or, a Les Paul in a metal band? Is this for solo-guitar compositions?

Give us some of these REAL WORLD DETAILS, and you'll find that the responses will be much more useful.

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the neve sidecar this morning.

Just look at this thread as a gift to the SM57 lovers.
Carl Keil

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:45 am

Nah... it's just that these kinds of threads come up all the time. And, they're a complete waste of time. In fact, the last time, the guy finally came around and admitted that he just wanted to get a discussion started about dream gear. There are plenty of those discussions already.

There are plenty of people here who can give great advice, if that's what you really want. If you just want to see people talk about gear that's out of reach for you, or daydream about your dream setup, there are plenty of ways to do that without misleading the generous contributors here with a phony request for advice.

If you can't find enough wanking about dream gear lists from the FSF, then try Gearslutz. They live for that shit over there.

If you're not pulling chains, and truly want good advice that might be applicable to your situation, then give more details. And, don't be coy about your budget. "Price is no concern" is a huge red flag.

I'd just prefer that this place remain a good marketplace of ideas, and a good source of useful recommendations, rather than a bunch of people discussing "dream gear" that most of them haven't even used.... especially if it's presented under the guise of actually asking for help.

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm in the middle of a project, recording an AC30 as well, and am loving the guitar tone I'm are getting by combining multiple mics. The setup is:

SM57 and Senn 421 on either side of the right cone. They are each getting some mid boost EQ, being bussed together, hitting a tube limiter and going to one track.

On the left cone I have a Mojave MA200 and an old Shure cardioid ribbon mic, not sure of the model. Thy are getting EQ and going to separate compressors and tracks.

If I had to choose one mic, I think the Mojave sound the best on its own. It has depth and clarity, while the 57, for instance, is quite muddy on its own. However, the blend of all these mics is smooth as butter.
Mmm, lung butter.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:28 pm

firesine wrote:I'm in the middle of a project, recording an AC30 as well, and am loving the guitar tone I'm are getting by combining multiple mics. The setup is:

SM57 and Senn 421 on either side of the right cone. They are each getting some mid boost EQ, being bussed together, hitting a tube limiter and going to one track.

On the left cone I have a Mojave MA200 and an old Shure cardioid ribbon mic, not sure of the model. Thy are getting EQ and going to separate compressors and tracks.

If I had to choose one mic, I think the Mojave sound the best on its own. It has depth and clarity, while the 57, for instance, is quite muddy on its own. However, the blend of all these mics is smooth as butter.
There's a dream setup. LDC, LDD, SDD and a Ribbon. You should try an SDC and see if it adds anything worthwhile. Might as well cover all your bases since you're so close anyway. :!:
Carl Keil

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 pm

AEA R92

kiln_house
pluggin' in mics

Post by kiln_house » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 pm

WOW this board is great I got a bunch of answers in no time flat! Ok let me try and narrow it down...
1.) I need to use one mic only due to limited tracks
(I am trying to do a 3 mic set up for a three piece band, I am using a LDC on the drums 4 ft out front and one on the organ amp and one on the guitar amp...I really like room sounds but also need some isolation on the tracks...I am going straight into the machine NO MIXING BOARD or EQ or Compression...this might change but I am trying to go simple first)
2.) I don't like 57s
3.) I am interested in a ribbon mic but I don't know where to begin? I understand these are pretty delicate and I play pretty loud....so durability is a factor.
4.) Ive been recomended the SENNHEISER MD421 or whatever its called?
5.) Where is the best place to a single mic on this cab? I like roomyness

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:53 pm

There's got to be somewhere in Houston you can rent a bunch of mics. There's just too many variables. You didn't describe the type of music you play, except to say "loud".
Carl Keil

kiln_house
pluggin' in mics

Post by kiln_house » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:57 pm

sort of Neil Youngsh Rural Rock does that help? Not Slayer loud nor LOW quiet does that help?

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:05 pm

If your room sounds good and your band sounds good in the room why not try a stereo mic setup?

Get two decent matching condenser mics (Sm81?) and try micing the group like that. I have done this for recording practices and it usually sounds really cool. Have the band set up all against the wall for starters. Drums in the middle, guitar on one side, organ on the other. Two tracks, panned hard left/right. Just do the "mixing" by moving stuff around the room and adjusting volume on the amps. Overdub vocals (in the same room, with the singer maybe two feet off the mic to introduce some of the same room tone) and whatever else on the other two tracks. For Neil Young-esque stuff that would probably sound awesome.

some other choice ideas for this setup
-have a friend play a double of the main guitar parts on acoustic on the opposite side of the room.
-split the guitar into two amps so it is balanced left and right (depending on what the organ is doing)
-no bass player? if the organ does the bass work than maybe split the organ to two amps so both channels are balanced in the low end?

This doesnt really answer your question at all though...

Get a 421. That mic is the titties
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

kiln_house
pluggin' in mics

Post by kiln_house » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 pm

we have tried the stereo live micing but I like to be able to ride the guitar level a bit for leads etc when mixing down. So even if I record with a stereo pair and throw another mic on the guitar cab on an extra track to blend in I still need to get a good guitar cab mic.