Let's talk about guitar cabs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mklein
alignin' 24-trk

Let's talk about guitar cabs

Post by Mklein » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm

So I just picked up a Sound City 50 Plus head for live and studio use, and I'm now in the market for a cab. I'm leaning towards a 2x12" for portability, but beyond that, I'm up in the air. Anyone got any cab/speaker/brand/etc recommendations? Maybe one speaker that's a little darker, another that's a little cleaner? Letta rip!

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:28 pm

What kind of music do you plan to play with it?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Two EV 12L speakers loaded into EV TL806 cabs.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 pm

I like 10" speakers for everything except metal . But I usually end up using 12" speakers just because they are so damn common, hence cheaper.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Sound City 50 Plus head?

how about a pair of Fane Crescendo speakers?

next pick: EV SROs
(later ceramic magnet version is the ancestor of the 12L, earlier version apparently used an alnico magnet and is supposed to have a looser, smoother low end.)

just try some things out with the head and use your ears...but make sure the loads match!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Is that the EVs that had the copper script logo on the dustcap?
I used to have a 15" and a 12" like that. With a kind of mauve hammertone finish on the magnet cover.
phenomenal sounding.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 am

The only cabs that have ever blown my socks off are built by earcandy (earcandycabs.com). He's been a little slow on the uptake recently (medical issues) but my 1x12 bass cab sounds better than and is just as loud as any 4x10 I've ever used. Plus it's tiny, which is nice for carrying around new york. I used a bunch of their different guitar cabs with different speaker combinations over the last few years and they've consistantly blow me away. I couldn't recommend them more highly.

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

guitar cabs all sound different. It depends a lot what amp you are using and also what type of sound you are going for. For versatility and portability I'd say go with a 2X12. I have an earcandy buzzbomb which sounds nice but not my favorite set-up. A mesa theile cabinet loaded with an EV12l combined with an open-back 1x12 with an emminence swamp thang gives me the best tone I have ever had. You really have to experiment.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:09 pm

I've got Celestion Blues, Greenbacks, and Jensens in various amps/cabs. If I had to stick to one it would probably be the Blues (or Celestion Golds if I needed higher Watt capacity).

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm

I previously had a Marshall cab, but I switched to an Avatar 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's in it and it blew the Marshall away, hands down. It had much more definition in all frequencies, lows, mids, highs. Avatar has a new design for their cabs now so I can't speak for their newest cabs but I would not doubt that they sound amazing.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeah V30's are gold. I got an Avatar 2X12 with my super loud Traynor and it sounds how guitars are supposed to sound to me. Before that I used both Marshall 4x12 and the super cheap, lightweight fender 4x12 (which is the easiest 4x12 to carry that I know of).

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm

I am still a huge fan of Boogie cabs. EV speakers just have the right amount of bite.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am still a huge fan of Boogie cabs. EV speakers just have the right amount of bite.
What I suggested above was the DIY equivalent of the Boogie 1x12. I'm a big fan of EV speakers in general.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04 pm

A little OT but in my early '90's punk daze I played a Bassman silver-face 50w. through a Sound City 4x12" loaded with 2 Celestions and 2 Pyles.

The cab was on wheels, but really needed to be onna forklift; I mean, that beeyatch was heavy. I actually found the box onna curb in '88 and put the speakers in myself. When I married and moved in '96 I pulled the speakers and left the box ... on the curb. I hope the next gen got and used it!

Back on topic, I traded a S/S Rickey for a Peavey Classic back in the '80's - the Classic blew so I pulled the amp and blocked the space and hung a couple average Celestions (I took outta the Sound City) in the box, put wheels on it, and it's a great, light, wide open 2x12". I use that with a Musicman HD130 for a great Twin sound, and recently have been running a little 10w. Electar through it for recording.

I also have a nice Silver Jubilee 1x12" open-back combo that I run to, as an extension, a ported Bullfrog cab with a 300w. 12" EV in (I use that cab with my bass rig, also, what uses the HD130), and it is way cool; I get the spread of the open-back and the thump of the sealed. Loud, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.