Stereo VCA buss compressors - Chameleon, TK Audio, Roll, etc

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Stereo VCA buss compressors - Chameleon, TK Audio, Roll, etc

Post by dynomike » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 pm

I am getting a little mastering room setup and I need a VCA buss compressor, similar to the G-SSL I had but better / cleaner / more control. The only comp I have now is the EHX ny2a, which is cool, but dark, very tubey, very opto. Need a clean / versatile / solid state complement.

I've been looking at the Chameleon Labs 7720 on the cheap end, the Dramastic Audio Obsidian on the high end, and the Focusrite Blue 230, TK Audio BC1 and Roll Music Systems 755 Super Stereo in the middle of the price range. Anyone used any of these guys head to head? I don't expect any of them to sound like a Fairchild or whatever, just a really good sounding VCA comp!

Anyway ppl are talking about them a lot on GS but I wanted to see if any of you guys had used them. Because I trust you more.

-Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 am

I was messing around with a Focusrite Red 3 because Chris Lord Alge uses it on his mix buss, and it had a really nice glue. But, that's a really expensive piece of gear (although you can get it more than half off used).

I don't really like SSL on the mix buss, it seems to suck a lot of energy out of the low end.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:57 am

The Chameleon is quite mid forward and grabby. The built in side chain filter is really nice. When I reviewed it I preferred on drum bus over mix buss. One of these days I may buy one for drum parallel. My limited experience with the Roll Music super stereo was that is had a smoother frequency response.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:02 am

Chipping in a detail: the dramastic audio obsidian is newer and less well known, less talked about yet. FYI, it's very muscular yet polished in vibe. Gives a "this is an album" feel to audio passed through it. Clean class A discreet fast and clear circuits colored by nice transformers with just a bit of classic transformer harmonic glue, a little tape-like but clearer. I have no investment with them, but I wanted to share that as it's rare that one piece of gear catches my attention like that.

I have not A/B'd it with any other SSL style mix polishers at the same time, so take that in mind. I'm used to some good mix polish though. It's a serious piece.

A pair of cranesong trakkers would be awesomely flexible... that's even more no kidding $.

Roc Mixwell
audio school graduate

Post by Roc Mixwell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 am

The Dramastic is a bad ass machine in our studio.

The above poster nailed it.

Its bigger/wider/larger/clearer than most. Its action is more nuetral than the SSL throughout the response, as I don't think it gives it a "hair cut" on the top like others can. Also, since it has the HPF in the detector circuit, your low end is allowed to breath though the compression circuit, and all the low level stuff can be brought up in my mix. I don't think I've ever pulled the D/A/O off the console outputs. Its extremely useful for any style of music and always stays clear and wide with 4 DB of reduction. I love the thing!!!

The TK box is really amazing for the dough. Its extremely smooth, and has a lot of possibilities for envelope shaping program material. Its really transparent in action and doesn't have any adverse color, but does indeed have a little character on the outputs. Mostly, it sounds like the gear I patched into it, and can be a very helpful friend for parallel compression, right on the box!!! I really like the settings on the TK given its transparent nature and smooth action.

The 755 is a good box, and has a really great "punch" and low mid emphasis that can push a mix out with authority. I think it does the SSL thing pretty well, and stays cleaner with less breakup, but its tone is right there with the SSL, fast, open punchy. The Roll is pretty flexible, but these are all great boxes. I personally dig the D/A/O over the bunch, but chances are they are all going to be great in one way or another.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 am

I had typed a huge response post but I guess it didn't send.

The jist:

Tried out the chameleon and api 2500.

Chameleon is functional but slightly shitty tone, sounds very much like my Gyraf SSL which I sold - useful comp for drum buss etc I think - nice sidechain feature.

API 2500 which I hadn't considered is now in the running. Thing sounds awesome in feedback mode with little GR. Can't go too crazy though. Very flexible with feedforward/feedback, the thrust control, knee... etc.

I also listened to a bunch of API 2500 vs TK audio samples and I preferred the API strongly on the mix, so now its:

api 2500 vs
dramastic audio obsidian (still haven't heard!) vs
roll 755 (also haven't heard!)

nobody deals this stuff up here!

thanks for the replies, all...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:29 pm

dynomike wrote:I had typed a huge response post but I guess it didn't send.

The jist:

Tried out the chameleon and api 2500.

Chameleon is functional but slightly shitty tone, sounds very much like my Gyraf SSL which I sold - useful comp for drum buss etc I think - nice sidechain feature.

API 2500 which I hadn't considered is now in the running. Thing sounds awesome in feedback mode with little GR. Can't go too crazy though. Very flexible with feedforward/feedback, the thrust control, knee... etc.

I also listened to a bunch of API 2500 vs TK audio samples and I preferred the API strongly on the mix, so now its:

api 2500 vs
dramastic audio obsidian (still haven't heard!) vs
roll 755 (also haven't heard!)

nobody deals this stuff up here!

thanks for the replies, all...
I've played with and heard the API at Carl Saff Mastering. That is one cool box!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:02 pm

dynomike wrote: nobody deals this stuff up here!
you can get the API in canada through L and M or Studio Economik
http://www.economik.com/api/2500/

if you like the API2500 i'd say check out the Portico 5043 - it does the feedback and feedforward mode too and i have a way more experienced mixer/masterer guy test drive mine and we found it similar in tone to the API. no sidechain features tho.

neither of these really grab like the SSL styles guys do - so it's a bit of a different vibe. have you looked at the Alan Smart ones? many many dudes swear by these - Tchad Blake and S Husky Hoskolds both seem to prefer the C1 (older model) to the C2.

also - i am loving the new UBK fatso too. very vesatile. check it out: http://www.economik.com/kush-audio/ubk-fatso/
the new rules : there are no rules

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 am

Hello..If you get a chance, try out the Pico Stereo 2-Buss compressor..Good sounding compressor that doesn't " downsize" your stereo image.. :wink: ..Good luck.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I know it's not VCA exactly, but the FET based Drawmer 1968 has had alot of positive comments on here for 2-mix and drum bussing. I hear one in person a month back and now I'm saving my pennies for one. The API is also really nice, but almost twice the price.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:07 am

update:

bought api 2500 on friday from studio economik in mtl
arrived monday, put it through the paces on a session today! awesome so far.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 pm

The 2500 is amazing. I wish more stereo comps had that variable link control.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 pm

If you're in 500 series land, the FCS (formerly Pico) compressor stereo set is pretty awesome. Much like a swiss army knife. I have a custom rackmount unit on my mixes pretty much 24/7, one setting or other, pretty much any type of music. There's a rackmount stereo unit that just came out.

http://www.mercenary.com/fcs.html
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73