Electronics Repair in Phoenix, AZ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Electronics Repair in Phoenix, AZ?

Post by the_snowfields » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:20 pm

I have need of some repair here in AZ to fix my Pioneer SA9500 amp and cannot find any good (or relevant) info off of the internets - does anyone know or have any experience with a good, honest shop in these parts or environs? thanks!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:00 pm

There are a couple places you could check out:

This is my first suggestion, but I have only spoke with the owner and have not had actual repairs done. He was super nice and from the quality of the items he has in his shop I think he knows what he is talking about.
http://audiovideochoices.com/

You could call these guys too, Matt is really nice.
Field Services Audio
2445 E Thomas Rd # D
Phoenix, AZ 85016-7934
(602) 956-4199

A number of my friends use this place, and I've herad nothing but good things about them. Affordable and honest are the two most mentioned phrases I've heard about them. They even got a write up in the New Times best of issue:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/bestof/2 ... r-1454346/

I also emailed these guys about a old reverb unit and they were pretty helpful.
http://www.analogdomaininc.com/

hope that helps.

500Norsepower
audio school

Post by 500Norsepower » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:55 pm

http://www.mtroniks.com/mtroniks.com/Welcome.html

Jeff might be able to help you out. He worked on my amps.

Wayne

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:34 pm

great! thanks guys!

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am

and how about shops selling random old musical ephemera around here? Like microverbs, crappy keyboards & other fun, non-mainstream-centric items? In Portland we have Trade UP, which is pretty eclectic for the day to day random items. The shops I have found here so far seem to be pretty guitar-centric - where are the gems?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:46 pm

the_snowfields wrote:and how about shops selling random old musical ephemera around here? Like microverbs, crappy keyboards & other fun, non-mainstream-centric items? In Portland we have Trade UP, which is pretty eclectic for the day to day random items. The shops I have found here so far seem to be pretty guitar-centric - where are the gems?
I wish there was such a thing. I find most stores here are pretty guitar centric. If someone else knows of another store, please post.

The closest place I've found to what you describe is Music Brokers on Central Ave bewteen Camelback and Indian School. They have moog stuff, new and used analog rack gear and consoles, tons of rhodes and farfisa organs, used mics, etc. However, it's bassically a pawn shop (it's connected to one in fact), and the guy that runs it, Johnny, seems more concerned about keeping his store looking cool than selling stuff at decent prices. And don't ever sell them anything...they won't give you a good deal. A friend worked their for a while and left because he felt they were unethical.

Now if you venture down to Tucson there is a store called Chicago's with an awesom selection. However, their prices are ridiculous on some items. They had a bin full of random keyboards and I pulled out an beat up sk-1 with a missing key, no battery cover, and no price on it and I asked a sales associate how much they wanted. He said he'd have to ask his manager, so i waited a bit, then some guy yells across the store "$70 bucks, kid." Ok...I was 24 at the time, but I took the kid part in stride, and responded with "Are you kidding me?" He said that they go for at least that on ebay. Ridiculous, I though, then I put it pack and said "Go sell it on ebay." Now I understand the original owner was quite nice, but he passed it on to his son when he died, who apparently isn't so nice. Not sure if things have changed, but I'd check it out next you go to Tucson.

I find most of my stuff on tapeOp or ebay, with an occasional purchase from CL.

Good luck, let me know if you actually find anything worthwhile around town.

the_snowfields
alignin' 24-trk

Post by the_snowfields » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:33 am

yeah, I checked out Music Brokers and you are right - way too expensive for the good stuff - wanted $450 for a broken Pro One... Interestingly though there was a Korg MS2000B for $350 - I just assumed it was broken too though... Thanks for the tips - the quest is still on!