Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 am

Bryantx512 wrote:I got an Earthworks M30 for $375. Looks brand new. I got it for measurement, but it sounds really nice on my cheapie acoustic.
Yeah, I had two of those too. Sold one because it didn't work with transformer balanced pre's. They sound great on anything! Mono drum overhead is nice, bass cab...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:31 pm

capnreverb wrote:A complete 70's set/deck of Brian Eno's "Oblique Stratagies". Every recording studio should have one.
dude! I just picked up an apogee symphony system (AD-16x & DA-16x) and a Toft ATB-16... However, I'm all the sudden wondering if it's a fair trade for an old deck of 'strategies

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Scored a Farfisa VIP 400 for free from another producer who's trying to de-clutter. Awesome.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm

SM7B.

Ordered it from Musicians Friend yesterday and it showed up today. Now that's service.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 pm

whoa sad iron, your next post will be your 1000th! Make it count! I've been following the thread about the sm7b, and now I'm so anxious to get one. Very jealous of you!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I was looking for something smaller than my Crate V50 Palomino, which sounds awesome. Not 20 minutes ago I traded it for this:

1960's Ampeg Reverberocket 2. All original (footswitch and all) except it's got a Celestion in it. This would be my first vintage piece of gear, and it sounds INCREDIBLE.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

I just snagged a 1959 Hammond M3 for $250. It includes the original bench, the original oil can and Hammond technique books. It needs a little love, but what device/human from 1959 doesn't?

Ben

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 pm

I loved my old Reverberocket, that was a good trade for you!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah it sure was! I've been playing through it all night and it's so smooth, the reverb sounds amazing and vintage, and the clean tone is very Fender minus some sparkle, which is just what I need since I have a few guitars with overly bright pickups. I thought the guy just plugged me into it so I could hear how it sounds, since I've never actually seen one on person! Turns out he was ridiculously generous. I had a feeling it was one of those unspoken "I know that this isn't the best deal for me but I want to pass this on to someone who can use it right" kind of things. I never would expect someone who's about to lose a vintage ampeg to compliment me on my guitar playing, talk about generous. It helps that he was a bass player so he doesn't have a use for the amp :lol:

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 am

Reverberockets are killer amps man. You made a good trade.

And you reminded me that I need to get mine fixed ASAP.

Next you'll want to be checking out a Gemini while they're still going for reasonable prices.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:30 am

Gemini are nice, but pretty heavy, so I always preferred the Rocket.

It's nice that they are handwired as well, makes fixing a lot easier.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:32 pm

I got over my bad self and bought a narrow track machine: an Otari MX-5050 MKIII 8 track. Cost all of $100 plus twice that to ship it across country. It arrived undamaged yesterday. The one thing I'm waiting for is a replacement pinch roller, which will be here Monday. At that point I can put some tape on it and begin to check it out. Fortunately, when I sold my M-79 4-track, I held onto my 1/2" MRL and my stock of EMTEC tape, so I'm ready to get in and get it going. Looks generally just fine, though the transport has seen a fair amount of use. The heads have wear, but the gaps are not worn through and the wear pattern looks pretty close to even, so I'm optimistic that it can run for a bit without a relap. We shall see next week!

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Sytek MPX 4aii. My second. I feel great about having eight really good sounding channels for my overflow as I slowly grow my collection of 500 series stuff.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 am

I love my sytek. I will never sell mine. They are so amazing with my ribbon mic especially or anything delicate. The noise level on those is pretty much nonexistent and for overheads they are fantastic.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 am

They are SO quiet. Isn't it crazy when you look at your meters and there is no sound coming through at all, and you figure "Aw crap, maybe I plugged the cables in wrong" and then dude hits a snare drum and the meter shoots up and those fast transients smack you. Sytek rules. I am excited to get more API stuff but I've never recorded anything on Sytek where the preamp was the problem.